It is the EX60LC with the Nissan diesel engine. It has been an excellent piece of equipment, especially after converting the mechanical thumb to a hydraulic version. This morning I changed the oil and filter then greased it up in preparation for digging a few stumps tomorrow. After putting a new fuel filter on I began the procedure of bleeding the system. The primer knob is way down under the manifold, but I did get it into the pumping set up. However,it did not ever get "strong resistance" as the owners manual describes. I put a squirt of oil under the primer knob and pumped like crazy without noticeable increase in resistance. Eventually, I cracked the fittings on top of the filter housing and some air and fuel came out. The engine will start and run for only 30-45 seconds. My thoughts are the primer pump is bad (seal dried up?) or I have missed a step somewhere. Hoping there are a few real mechanics/experienced operators watching here who may be able to get me back to digging tomorrow. Thanks. Gary
Is it this style engine/pump?
Just loosen the banjo bolt on the LEFT, on the inj. pump.. fuel return.. And work the hand primer.. THAT will get the air out from the fuel tank, filters & inj. pump inlet.. TIGHTEN it back down.. DONT FORGET to screw the HP back down..{I hate those HP's}
There is a filter screen in the banjo bolt UNDER/ bottom side of the HAND Primer BODY.. feed line. They WILL clog up w/ debris.. The screen unscrews from the body.. unscrew, blow off & reinstall..
OK, I will try that today. Pretty tight quarters in that engine compartment. Can just see the top of hand pump, but highly motivated to get 'er runnin' again. FYI, my filter/pump looks like the one in Birkens's photo above. Thanks all. Gary
OK, Looked at owner's manual and it appeared the screen was on the top, but you were right it is on the bottom. Even a contortionist couldn't get a wrench on it. However, by removing a panel underneath it was just barely visible. Used all the extensions I had and managed to loosen it enough to give myself a diesel shower (ugh). No shut off below the fuel tank so applied a clamp device to stop the loss of diesel and allow work to continue. That screen was completely clogged. Cleaned it out and reinstalled same, and wow what a difference. That hand pump worked like advertised and it fired right up. It now runs like a top, just as before. Perhaps I will remove the tank and have it cleaned out at the end of the season. Thank you everyone who helped get me pointed in the right direction. Gary
Very good.. Glad its running.. Just think.. That "large" debris made it thu the filters.!! I would think that a REGULAR filter REPLACMENT schedule should be put inplace, sooner than later.. Good luck w/ the rest of your season.. TPG
You sure TPG? isn't that filter usually after the water separator and before the filter? You shouldn't get junk there unless the water separator screen has been removed, or you never had a water separator.
Well, you know.. the info on the internet forums are worth what ya pay for... Lol I DO KNOW that the fuel has to, or SHOULD, pass thru some sort of filter before it gets TO the supply pump..
Muiltquip/Isuzu and also Mitsubishi engines/generators have a very similar system and as you can see in the blue border picture, the fuel just comes in a hose barb there. On MQ they have a drop-out water separator ahead of it and ahead of that, an inline hose fuel filter like a redneck puts on his 350 chevy. But most of them have little to nothing before the inlet to the supply pump, and it is up to the installer to put it on or leave it off.