Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi UH083LC oil tank

chickenminer ยท 2016-06-19 12:37

I've got an old Hitachi UH083LC that I use in my mining operation. Been a good old machine but the pressure in the oil tank seems a bit high. Can't find what the pressure is suppose to be in the service manual. Anyone know what the pressure range should be ? Thanks!

Replies12
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-19 13:27

    I don't recall the Hitachis, the Mitsubishis had a tank pressure gauge with the numbers marked on the green section if I remember correctly, and some decals either on the tank or regulator. Should be a radiator type cap on their that will bleed pressure if it's too high.

  2. #2chickenminer2016-06-19 20:51

    Thanks. The machine has a pressure gauge on the panel but it never seems to move so I don't think it ever worked since I've had it. It does have some sort of pressure relief fitting on the top of the housing but again I'm not sure it's working. I stuck a pressure gauge on it and the pressure goes up to 40 PSI in the tank.

  3. #3mitch5042016-06-19 20:56

    The old 200 series Cats had at least 40 psi tank pressure, I'm sure. I've never measured it, but I'm sure it was at least that.

  4. #4chickenminer2016-06-20 01:16

    mitch .... thanks for the input. Well maybe 40 psi isn't unreasonable then. Just seems high.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-06-20 03:46

    Sounds high to me, I thought the old mitsis were around 20-25 psi, but then the Hitachis could be anything, i just don't remember. The mitsis had a regulator along with the governor for the compressor, I can't remember the Hitachis because we never had any problems with them.

  6. #6Tones2016-06-20 06:38

    1 bar pressure is all thats required. Now that pulling stuff out of an old brain. I operated the first one sold into Australia and New Zealand. To my mind they were the best model 20 toner Hitachi ever made, did 1100 hrs in 4 years with no problems except a lack of gravity on one track one time. ops

  7. #7chickenminer2016-06-20 14:12

    Tones ... thanks. That sounds more reasonable. Guess I'll stick a new 15 psi regulator on it and see how she works. I've got an EX200 LC-3 also but I sure like running the old girl, even though she has about 15,000 hrs now.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-06-20 15:59

    If the pumps aren't whining at 15 psi it'll be fine, that's what the pressure does, supercharge the main hydraulic pumps.

  9. #9Tones2016-06-20 16:03

    My last post should read 11000hrs. If I remember rightly there should be a pressure relief valve on the top of the tank near the filter cap or maybe even on the cap itself. It's a bugger trying to go back into the noggen 30+ years

  10. #10chickenminer2016-06-20 20:35

    Yup .. there is a pressure relief valve but I don't think it's working because I never hear it venting. The reason I was suspicious and stuck a pressure gauge on it is I started getting leaks where I shouldn't. Both finals are getting hydraulic oil in them now and the pump gearbox is getting hydraulic oil in it.

  11. #11Tones2016-06-20 21:06

    I hope it hasn't damaged the seals. Has the pump gearbox got a breather on it?

  12. #12chickenminer2016-06-21 00:40

    Yes, gearbox has a breather and after about 12 hrs of running oil starts spitting out the breather. I have to drain it and put fresh 90W in. I stuck a small ball valve on the tank and leave it cracked a tad to relieve some pressure. Hopefully it didn't blow any seals and this will solve the problem for now.