Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi UH14 / UH143

AtlasRob ยท 2008-11-09 11:30

Thanks for your reply and pictures in the welcome corner The machines are definetly very similar. I havent a clue what power pack was in them it was too long ago. The bonnets on ours look to be higher with the pre air cleaner on top. I attach some pics for comparison, they got dogs abuse digging rock, often double shifted and often stradling trenches the wrong way to do the undercarriage any good, cracked in all the usual places and had teeth and shanks torn off buckets but they kept working and I dont recall any serious engine, travel or pump problems. :drinkup

Replies15
  1. #1Snowy2008-11-10 05:58

    Nice looking excavator Rob. I'm heading back to Mudgee where my excavator is this weekend so I'll get some better photos to put up here. There are a few little differences between them. Should I take some photos of anything specific? Grant.

  2. #2AtlasRob2008-11-15 15:03

    Pictures are always welcome, if you get a chance, a good shot in through the door will give me colly wobbles loooong levers :cool2 I see the lads on here discussing c@t and JD patterns and it always brings back the memories of realizing with a shock that its time to re train the brain man that forward back slew was a nightmare and not helped when digging over a bucket and 1/2 wide :Banghead

  3. #3Snowy2008-11-18 06:19

    She's not pretty, but she moves dirt.

  4. #4Snowy2008-11-18 06:36

    And the rest of them

  5. #5AtlasRob2008-11-21 15:38

    Pretty dont move dirt :thumbsup you sound like the sort of guy that has his priorities in the right order. I'm sure with a little TLC she will do you proud :drinkup

  6. #6JGS Parts2012-04-22 00:49

    hey guys you guys happen to know the size of the seals for the controller? for the UH143 trying to find some now.

  7. #7Highdrive2012-04-22 13:07

    The UH143 and the UH14 are different size machines. If you care to know how they differ I can explain.

  8. #8JGS Parts2012-04-22 17:52

    hey highdrive mate i would like to know thanks for the insight

  9. #9roadrunner812012-04-22 19:28

    A UH14 is a 1.4 cu meter machine and the 143 is 1.4 cu yrds. So almost a half a cu meter difference between machines outfitted with standard buckets. The UH143 is also several years newer.

  10. #10Highdrive2012-04-22 21:19

    The UH143LC/UH12LC-7 weighs in at 64,000lbs. the UH171/UH172/UH14LC-2 weighs 91,000lbs. The UH143 is a 1.2 cu/m or 1.75 cu/yd. The UH172/UH14 is a 1.40 cu/m or 2.00 cu/yd. I have a UH143 and changed out the smaller bucket many years ago to a 2 cu/yd bucket from a UH181. The 143 handles that size bucket with ease. The 143 is the same machine as the John Deere 792 except the Hitachi is powered by a Hino engine. I've run the JD792 and the Hitachi with the Hino is stronger. The only problem I ever encounterd with the 143 is the rotary manifold that directs hydraulic fluid from pumps to operate the travels went bad. My 143 has less than 5,000 hrs since new. I brought it to this country from holland in 1986 when JD and Hitachi had trade agreements not to bring any Hitachi machines here that were same size as JD's being marketed here at the time. I get most parts from JD dealer except engine parts which can mostly be gotten from any Hino dealer. Feel free if you have other questions reguarding repair or operation of the 143. Any 143's that made it to this country came in grey market if puschased new.

  11. #11Diggaman2012-04-22 23:20

    Heres a bit more info. The UH12-7/UH143 was replaced by the EX300. The UH!4 went to the UH14-2/UH171 which was replaced buy the UH181 which in turn was replaced by the EX400.

  12. #12JGS Parts2012-04-23 10:44

    Do you guys think the seal kit for the controller would fit off a EX300 for the UH143?

  13. #13Highdrive2012-04-23 16:52

    JGS, what controller are you referring to? Hydraulic control valves that operate boom,stick,bucket,swing?

  14. #14JGS Parts2012-04-23 19:43

    yeah mate them ones. (boom , stick , bucket & swing

  15. #15Highdrive2012-04-24 16:41

    If you go to a john deere dealer have them look up the seals for a 792. That is the same machine as the 143 except for the engine. I'm sure you can still order them. I have a parts book if you want to know the part numbers.