Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Zx-130lcn-6 woes.

Abrant23 · 2024-03-02 18:34

Evening. I’ve got a 2017 Zx-130 that I am having issues with. It starts and runs fine, but 10-15 minutes after starting it begins to smoke and knock when under load. It idles just fine, but when the engine is put under load it smokes black and starts to knock. Once you let off the controls, it puffs white smoke for a second then goes back to idling fine. I’ve hooked it up to the mpdr as well as checked the codes in the monitor, but none are active. It has been suggested by one mechanic to “throw some injectors in it” but I’d like some other opinions before just tossing hundred dollar bills at it! Any info is appreciated

Replies13
  1. #1mg23612024-03-03 05:58

    Welcome to HEF Abrant23 ! Are there stored codes?

  2. #2Abrant232024-03-03 10:14

    I looked into those when this happened (about 3 months ago) and I recall the dates on them were from a while back. I had a similar machine available (a ZX135-6) to run the mpdr on. I compared values on the fuel related readings on that machine under the same conditions as the problematic 130, and they all were pretty close. One thing I did notice was the common rail pressure dropped off quickly on the 130 as compared to the 135 when releasing the load on the engine.

  3. #3mg23612024-03-04 05:03

    Maybe @LACHAU can shed some light on your operational issue.

  4. #4Lagwagon2024-03-04 07:05

    Sounds like a faulty rail pressure relief valve

  5. #5Abrant232024-03-04 08:05

    I’ll dig into the manual and read up on it. Thank you for the response.

  6. #6Abrant232024-03-05 15:46

    Dropped the counterweight this afternoon to get to the fuel rail. Hopefully the new pressure relief valve shows up soon, and fingers crossed that remedies the problem….

  7. #7LACHAU2024-03-07 10:30

    Regarding to 10041-2 fault code.

  8. #8LACHAU2024-03-07 10:36
  9. #9LACHAU2024-03-07 10:49

    About 10534-12 fault code.

  10. #10Abrant232024-03-07 14:42

    Well, that gives me some light reading to try and digest! The date on that code was a few years ago, but for all I know this machine has sat for that long. It was sold at Auction in April of ‘22 and it traveled from the UK to GA, then to SC before I acquired it. It has not reappeared as of yet, but I’ll keep my eye on it. Thank you.

  11. #11Abrant232024-03-07 14:48

    @LACHAU one question you might be able to answer. When comparing a select few sensors to a known working machine, the problematic one has a drasticly different “common rail DP”. What exactly does that denote? The working machine has a value of 0 and the janky sputtering smoky one jumps all over from 16-25% when under load.

  12. #12mg23612024-03-08 04:41

    Common Rail DP is the difference between actual and desired fuel rail pressure, if I recall correctly. If it is wandering all over the place, you may have either a fuel delivery issue from the low pressure side, or maybe an SCV issue. I think mismatch codes will appear when the difference becomes more than 50 MPa?? Again, @LACHAU would be my go to guy for that information.

  13. #13Abrant232024-03-08 07:12

    Thanks! I’ve got myself copies of all the manuals including the one for the 4jj1 engine, so I hope to not be quite so ignorant with my questions from here on out. This is a machine I bought at a good price for personal use on my farm, so I’m hoping to get it going without too much “throwing money at it”. Since it’s just for using around the house, repair time isn’t much of a factor. Thanks again to everyone for the guidance so far.