Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ZX 160 LC Year 2003 bogs down, looses power and stalls

Arthur_P ยท 2020-11-26 12:54

Hi, I am having problem with my ZX 160 LC 2003, engine is running well and starts really well, when I start using Boom and bucket especially multiple functions at the time it looses power and bogs down, even starts to stall. Its even hard to lift filled bucket while using only 1 function. It used to do that when it warmed up, now it did it right away. Also sometimes relay starting to click rapidly behind the seats(haven't looked into witch one, as I try to replicate it clicking while on repairs). I am not sure if it's electrical problem, or a hydraulic one. Changed all filters, Already ordered Dr.zx kit to check what it says. Any input would be great. As I had hitachi "mechanic" come down, he was saying his computer is not working, did something around, it worked a bit but the problem was back next day. And as with pandemic, I cant get anyone, so gonna try to do it myself.

Replies42
  1. #1skyking12020-11-26 14:35

    Fuel filters look OK when you pulled them?

  2. #2beanfarmer713552020-11-26 15:08

    I have a 2006 Deere 200c LC, doing almost the same thing. Was about to post about it. Idles fine, but mid range and up has no power and has a miss. One thing I did notice, repacked it, but didnt help, was the water separator primer pump would seem to suck air when filling the filters. But mad no difference, that or if tank is low or full.

  3. #3anuradha2020-11-27 02:56

    Hi, Rapidly clicking of relays some times happen if there is a problem in the electrical and electronic system. If there is a problem in your controller this can be an indication as well. So find out that there is a fault code. And find out that the fault indication appear on the monitor regarding your system. Some times inside the controller if the microcontroller chip has some grounding problems then also this kind of rapidly clicking relays can be resulted in the system due to the gate capacitance of the relay driving Mosfet( transistor ).This is called as " Out put ringing " . So this is also a thing you should consider. If there is an indication light on the controller find out that which colour is it illuminating and find out whether it is normal or not.

  4. #4Arthur_P2020-11-27 04:11

    Yea, they seemed to be okay, but I changed them anyways. The motor is purring really well, starts on half a turn, but who knows.

  5. #5Arthur_P2020-11-27 04:15

    I see, I have more of a problem with hydraulics bogging down the motor when I put too much hydraulic load on it with boom and bucket at the same time, even if I put motor on full revs, it seems slow to work especially with boom and bucket, also hard to lift with filled bucket. Weird thing it drives fine and nothing is wrong with it.

  6. #6Arthur_P2020-11-27 04:20

    I will check this as soon as I get the Dr.zx(I hope it works) Do you think it could be also bad contacts/ loose wire in wiring harness?

  7. #7anuradha2020-11-27 07:24

    Hi, Yes, it could be bad contacts/ loose wire in wiring harness. So check on that as well. If the wiring and connectors are all good then we can check the controller out put voltage of required out put lines to check whether controller is good or bad.

  8. #8Arthur_P2020-11-27 08:28

    I downloaded troubleshooting guide from "scribd com" for 160LC-3 class hitachi. And found that it describes pretty much the same issue as I am experiencing. Attached image with it. It also says to ether check harness or replace Pump 1 Delivery Pressure sensor. Might order 1 sensor just to try it out.

  9. #9anuradha2020-11-27 13:32

    Hi, I did look at the troubleshooting chart you posted. you said that there was a rapidly clicking relay. because of that i think you should find out what relay is that and check the wiring line of it. And check the wiring line to above mentioned pressure sensor as well. If the wiring is ok then find out the "check of pump delivery pressure sensor" from the troubleshooting manual that you downloaded. From there you may able to find the supply voltage level for the sensor and check whether is it available.if all the things seems to be good then you have to find out that clicking relay and see whether required signal comes there at right time. If the wirings are good and required signal is not available from the controller then we can decide whether your controller is good or bad. Check those things before replacing the pressure sensor .

  10. #10JonathanMA2020-11-27 15:48

    Throwing this out there for something cheap and easy to check--There is a screen in the fuel line fitting where the rubber fuel line enters the manual primer pump on the injection pump-- It's inside the bolt that holds the banjo fitting , the lower barbed inlet fitting on the primer pump - There may be others also at inlets to the fuel filters --They many times get overlooked and result in the engine bogging when under a load when they clog with debris.

  11. #11Tones2020-11-27 15:52

    Arthur, check the pilot pump for pressure and flow. I've seen a EX220 doing the same thing. For 2 years the so called experts fiddled with it changing sensors, fuel pump, injectors all to no result. The company was going to ditch it but a mate of mine got involved. He checked everything that had been done without finding any faults. He then checked the pilot pump, pressure was good but the flow was near non-existent. Fitted a new pump and that machine is still working faultlessly today. Insufficient flow won't allow the system to work correctly and cause the spools to only partially open. The machine is then fighting with it self.

  12. #12Arthur_P2020-11-28 04:27

    Good point, I should try to replicate that clicking relay and pinpoint it first. Also I want to check with Dr Zx before doing any manipulations so I can have clean reading.

  13. #13Arthur_P2020-11-28 05:00

    I will check that also. Who knows might be multiple thins going on at the same time creating the issue.

  14. #14Arthur_P2020-11-28 05:06

    Thanks for this info, I will also look at that. It's really lacking power and bogging itself down like it's fighting itself. Even though the motor seems to really work well.

  15. #15LACHAU2020-11-28 08:00

    See attached image. It is extracted from ZX160LC technical manual.

  16. #16LACHAU2020-11-28 08:17

    As you can see in the attached image; no relays may be related to engine overload symptom. Symptoms of engine overload may be related to the "PUMP TORQUE CONTROL VALVE" and / or related components (multiple sensors: pressure sensor, speed sensor, wiring, connectors ...)

  17. #17anuradha2020-11-28 09:15

    Hi, Sir, yes as you said " no relays may be related to engine overload symptom." Could it be a symptom of a wiring issue or a controller problem.( rapidly clicking of a relay) If the wiring is ok and if there is a problem in the controller then these kind of problems can happen due to signal errors from the controller. However your paper informations and advices will be a great support to "Arthur" and he will be able to findout the problem if he follows those correctly.

  18. #18mg23612020-11-29 05:24

    @LACHAU Is the engine in this electronic fuel injection or mechanical fuel injection? Turbo boost check could quickly eliminate the engine as the source of low power if it is mechanical injection.

  19. #19LACHAU2020-11-29 11:10

    Hi MG2361, Hitachi Zaxis160LC is similar to JD160C LC. But it's installed ISUZU AA-4BG1TC. Engine equipped with mechanical fuel injection. You're right. I think so; we should check the engine performance first.

  20. #20Arthur_P2020-11-30 04:07

    Thats a great info, I thought there should be some self diagnosis system, but couldn't find info. This will help me allot! I will check the engine.

  21. #21Arthur_P2020-11-30 07:18

    I did some testing today trying to find the clicking relay. Also tried to use diagnostic method LACHAU showed, it showed only "0 0", I will try it again anyways.(maybe I should have switched "learning switch") 1. One important thing I failed to mention is I have battery cutoff switch, as if I leave it on the LCD display is turned on even without turning the key(witch it shouldn't be like that). 2. Second I found the relay location of relay clicking its located next to fuse box and DR.zx ports as in picture/video bellow. Even thought it stopped right as I was trying to get to it, the sound was coming from there. I am not sure what they are for yet 3. While engine is running well as in Youtube video in link, when I try to operate in digging motion with "boom up and front elbow in" it bogs down, black smoke comes out. When I let the boom go down it does it quickly, single operations are decentl fast, but varies from operation. 4. There is some blinking red lights on both 3-ICX(information controller) and 4-MC(main controller) not sure what it means. Engine running link: Electronics video:

  22. #22Arthur_P2020-11-30 07:36

    Maybe its possible to download ZX160LC technical manual you have, mine appears to be from a bit newer machine, other one I have is in Russian.

  23. #23anuradha2020-11-30 09:01

    Hi, I think blinking red lights of controllers also might be an indication of faulty controller most of the time as i earlier said. But need to be sure on that, because i do not know exactly that what this flashing red lights means for this excavator. So i think "LACHAU" Sir will help you to figure it out.

  24. #24mg23612020-11-30 12:07

    Normal to blink about once per second (at least it is for the Main controller). I think LACHAU will confirm that.

  25. #25Arthur_P2021-06-10 09:00

    Hi, just wanted to update so others searching for similar problem can see, I changed Deliver Pressure sensor 2 and its running fine so far. Seems to be the problem, also fixed oil leaks I had in the system. Thank you for all the inputs.

  26. #26skyking12021-06-10 09:18

    Thanks for coming back, @Arthur_P

  27. #27mutti_wilson2021-06-10 11:38

    Ditto. So often the actual fix is never mentioned and the person vanishes forever.

  28. #28Footch1872024-01-20 00:19

    Hey Arthur where is the location of the delivery pressure sensor ?

  29. #29LACHAU2024-01-20 00:54

    Welcome to HEF.

  30. #30Footch1872024-01-20 01:39

    Thanks alot for the diagram I am a field service tech for en equipment rental company in Austin TX and we are licensed dealers for 66 different oem manufacturers and I couldn't find anything in our systems on these old beast remotely as good as what I've found here will be definitely be back and hope to help others out as well . Any chance you'd have the part number for the sensor or where I could find one local

  31. #31Diesel Dave2024-01-20 09:05

    Screenshot below is from the Deere online parts site. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/77514/referrer/search/pgId/143909/partnumber/4436271/callout/05 .

  32. #32Footch1872024-01-21 09:21

    Hey diesel Dave is there an ohm test or a way to test the pressure sensor to determine whether it's the sensor or wiring to the sensor

  33. #33Diesel Dave2024-01-21 10:34

    Did you use the monitor onboard diagnostics to check for any active hydraulic fault codes ? Fault code #10 is Abnormal Pump 1 Delivery pressure . Fault code #11 is Abnormal Pump 2 Delivery pressure . Check your messages.

  34. #34Footch1872024-01-21 11:33

    No I haven't I just made it back out to the machine , I have done some hillbilly wiring stuff to get it somewhat working by i guess bypassing p1 signal to what ever sensors or regulators are mounted on the high pressure filter housing

  35. #35BlackSmokeandMetal2024-03-14 04:41

    I have a similar problem on John Deere 2154D. At idle rpm working boom or arm will pull down engine to stall. I suspect an MCX controller issue as I have tested voltage at torque control solenoid when functioning machine and pulling engine rpm down and there is constant 24v. I i disconnect torque control solenoid pump stays at min displacement and engine rpm dosent move. I connect with JD service advisor but can only view the ECU and cannot see any fault with any engine sensors like speed or fuel pressure. No faults are active in the monitor diagnostic screen and again all sensors hyd sensors appear to be reading correctly. Has anybody had trouble with MCX controller before?

  36. #36Diesel Dave2024-03-14 10:15

    @BlackSmokeandMetal , you should start a new thread for the issue. If you have a full machine serial number would be good.

  37. #37Knuckleduster2024-03-14 15:50

    Got the same problem with out EX150-5--going to order one of each pair of pump sensors and try them

  38. #38Knuckleduster2024-03-17 14:08

    Got the dr dx coming tomorrow or Tuesday at latest. So going to hopefully do battle once more on Tuesday so long as the heavens don`t dump any more water on us. The final section of the towpath to walk to the digger is lethal, has a slicky slimy mud on top which looks grey puddle clay, which may have been dumped on there when we dry dredged the canal. If you can manage to stay upright, you find yourself sliding towards the water. This stuff doesnt drain and with the amount of water we have had dumped on us, it is a nightmare. This digger is driving me nuts. Mind you I have found and fixed a few issues along the way but not the important one--dam thing wont dig and likes sitting at the side of the canal admiring the view--spiytfull thing--we bought her to dig and not as a canalside ornament.

  39. #39skyking12024-03-17 14:20

    hope you get that weather. The only fix on that grease is to remediate it, I am afraid. The crap won't grow any cover so you can get traction.

  40. #40Knuckleduster2024-03-17 15:33

    Hi Skyking1, Totally agree. Have 10 tons of MOT 1 on order which is a mixed size aggregate we use to repair the towpaths with and 8 tons of "dust" which is finely ground up rock chippings. The MOT 1is laid usually by young corporate volunteers and trodden in. We are forbidden to use whacker plates to compress it down and rely on footfall to flatten it down. After a month or two the, dust is laid ontop to fill the voids. This forms a permiable surface which allows drainage and a stable walkway that is wheelchair friendly. There must be 10-15 tons of MOT1 in the bund we created to act as a barrier accross the canal while we worked on making a stop plank (oak beams) installation. Never been done before in 200 years . Normally there are grooves in the towpath walls which were put in when the canal was created over 200 years ago to block the water while work is undertaken behind. We needed to build this so that we can excavate a winding hole (turning point) before going off building a new channel to connect with the old part of the canal. The words " you will never achieve that" is not in our vocabulary. Just need to fix the excavator.--Nothing beats us

  41. #41skyking12024-03-17 15:44

    Love the "winding hole" Your little boat and that day hire 35' boat wind where ever you happen to be I motored down to the furthest away lock on our agreed limits, tied up and took pictures of locking through with confidence that I could 3 point my way back out of there with ease. There we are spun about, watching this 60' with bow thruster locking through.

  42. #42Knuckleduster2024-03-19 19:07

    Usually when i wind my boat(turn around) I do it with confidence BUT if I mess up there usually is an audience of Gongooselers ( people who watch boaters,comment but are not boaters themselves) When I do it right there is now one about. I`m up for a trip this weekend with the craneboat. Ive got to push boat about 6 miles up the canal with a tugboat to meetup with canal and river trust contractors to change one of the lift pumps where water is extracted from the river to top up the levels of the canal. The Tug arrived back today with a report of engine spluttering and comment that "it wouldn`t push the skin of a rice pudding". Tug was used for work further up the canal and as usual we give it back fully operational and when it arrives back there is a problem. The tug doesn`t belong to us but we have full use of it and is based at our location.So Thursday I`ll need to look at the fuel system--maybe clag in the filter,water in the separator or a petocock that has broken in two parts and is blocking fuel--common problem. Got DR Dx and my fellow sufferer will be jacking laptop into the ECU and see if anything shows up while I play with the tug. Still after I fix it "I will need to take it for an extended test" so will visit one of our live abourd boaters stuck up the canal with engine problems and offer her a tow back breasted up to home base. Love messing about with boats--just hate excavators.