Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ZX160 engine rpm sensor location

slimmy · 2025-08-27 21:32

So my ZX160 is not displaying actual rpms. Commanded rpm is displayed so I figured I would replace the sensor. Does anyone know where it is located?

Replies11
  1. #1mg23612025-08-28 12:06

    ZX160-? Hitachi guys will need the dash number, I think.

  2. #2slimmy2025-08-28 13:10

    It’s a Zx160-LC. I think is series 1. 2005 model year

  3. #3Steve Austin2025-08-28 17:22

    Please provide us a machine serial number for more accurate location. I thank the Zaxis 160 uses the crankshaft position sensor for the engine rpm looking at parts and no serial number confirmation it could on the block below the starter check wiring connector for bad or corroded connection.

  4. #4mg23612025-08-28 17:51

    Take a look at the hydraulic pump. Is there a sensor on top towards the engine end of the pump, on the right when looking at it?

  5. #5slimmy2025-08-28 18:10

    Serial # FF01F1Q00111

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-08-28 23:19

    “N” speed sensor , see screenshot belo.

  7. #7slimmy2025-08-29 08:11

    Awesome. Thanks. Have a part number by chance?

  8. #8Diesel Dave2025-08-29 08:57

    “N“ speed sensor part# 0486103 subs for # 0838413

  9. #9slimmy2025-09-01 07:30

    Ok, so I found the sensor. No wonder I can’t get a reading from it. It was not connected to anything, The wires are cut about 6” and cannot find the other end. Does anyone have a wire diagram or know where the speed sensor connects to?

  10. #10Diesel Dave2025-09-01 11:36

    The speed sensor wires are black and white. The sensor wires are part of the ” engine harness” which also go to all of the hydraulic pump sensors. If you look closely at the wire harness branch that goes to the pump control pressure sensors I think you should be able to find the cut. See screenshot below.

  11. #11slimmy2025-09-01 15:37

    cool. Thanks. Will do some looking when I get back at it this week since I need to change a pressure sensor on pump 1