I have a 2005 Hitach zx160lc excavator that lost movement on on side, loud pop from final drive and no longer works just grinding noise. Pulled cover off and found the sun gear shaft had stripped. It looks like t goes into a collar or something in the back which is also stripped. What I need help with is how do I get to this collar? Is there any way to get to it from this side with the final drive mounted on the frame? Or do I need to remove the whole final drive assembly? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
That collar is actually the motor driveshaft. The travel motor needs to come apart and be placed upright to disassemble. The park brake and motor will have to be disassembled to get to the retaining ring that holds the shaft in. It’s actually not as bad of a job as it sounds, just make sure the assembly is upright or reassembly will be near impossible.
Ok thanks. So I should be able to pull the motor out from the other side then and leave the track on. I’ve been working at that some but haven’t made much progress yet. I have a guy looking for the parts now and will continue on once I have them.
NO. The entire final has to be pulled. One half of the motor is actually the final so if you pull the bolts out of the inside of the track frame you’ll get a lap full of Belleville wagers, brake discs and a bunch of other goodies you can’t get back in order.
Parts key #3
I replaced final drive motor shaft with it still on my case cx160. I raised the machine up with the boom until the counter weight was on the ground. When putting drive motor back together i put a little grease on the springs to hold em place and didn't have any problems but be real careful. But yea the more vertical the better and have a ladder handy so u get out of the machine after u raise it up.
Usually there is plenty of difference between a Sumitomo product and a Hitachi/Deere product.
Thanks TNB, luckily i I have not pulled that half of the motor off before reading this lol. I’ll be sure to split the track and pull the whole final drive out of there. Thanks again.