Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hoarding isn’t always a bad thing

RZucker ยท 2020-03-19 23:17

Had a truck with a C-15 come in day before yesterday pushing coolant out under a hard pull, got the head off and the head gasket was going in two places. Got a gasket kit this morning and sled gauged the liners, they were consistent at +.003... not enough for a 525HP engine. Oh, look... I saved a .003 undersize spacer plate in the back room. We are now at +.006 and life should be good for this engine.

Replies5
  1. #1Ronsii2020-03-19 23:49

    I can kinda relate to that.... I save just about anything and everything.... my only question to you is how on God's green earth did you find where you saved it?

  2. #2RZucker2020-03-20 00:11

    Cat in one corner, Cummins in another, and... well you get the picture. The undersize spacer was from an engine I rebuilt 2 years ago and had the block cut for shims to put it all back to stock after I had put the undersize on it 2 years before that replacing the head. Got a recycling system going now.

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-03-20 00:45

    It usually works out that you keep stuff around for years and then figure you'll never use so throw it out. 2 weeks later you need it.

  4. #4RZucker2020-03-20 00:49

    Exactly, awhile back I tossed a couple of Cat engine harnesses, a week later i could have used a plug from one of them. New program starting up.

  5. #5highwayghost2020-03-20 02:49

    There IS a method to the madness! If I were to pass suddenly, they'll just get one of those big roll off dumpsters. I wonder how many times you'll hear.... " What the HELL did he save THAT for??".