Anthony hoist, no longer made (I'm told). Would like to reseal, but can't figure out how to disassemble. Back in the day, my dad would just snip the new v-packings and put them in. This cylinder has some nylon seals/bearings/spacers that are damaged. Any ideas on where a guy can get parts for this? The company that has supposedly bought this company out doesn't answer or return any calls.
match them up at hercules or bulldog or your local hydraulics shop. The consensus on here is that truck hoists are cheaply made and not worth rebuilding. Your's looks in good shape and the seals should be easy to find if you don't mind the internet searching.
How do you get it apart? Doesn't appear to be retaining rings of any sort holding the rods in....
Is it logical to assume that the separate stages are not removable? Been investigating, and can't find anything on removing each stage independently from the others. Also, in the past, someone welded a new eye on the top, and it's too big to let the top head nut slip off.
Never worked on an Anthony cylinder but the Heil cylinders we had on most of the tenwheelers at the quarries had a plug that you could take out down at the bottom. But that would not work if the eye on the top won't let the top nut slide off. That plug was a real bear to get out on some of the cylinders as it was held in with a large snap ring and you had to be lucky to have the hole in it lined up with the notch in the bottom of the plug. Real fun if one end of the snap ring had broken off so no hole to work with. Then it was some careful torch work to cut the plug away around the ring and then replace with new plug and snap ring. Not sure how many of the chevron seals are in your cylinder some of the Heil's had maybe five or six in each stage. In a pinch one could remove all the old ones then cut the new ones and stagger the gaps when installing them. Seems like I recall some of the real old Cat hydraulic rams had factory seals like that, the ones you could remove shims to adjust. Like Delmer says a good hydraulic repair shop should be able to have or source the seals just going by ID/OD of the old seals.
Problem is I need to try other shops I think. The only shop they've tried insists they can't get ahold of the current company, and doesn't know where to go from there. I'm going to try a couple other places today, see what I can dig up. It's not even my cylinder, a friend asked me for advice, and day by day I seem to get more involved lol.
That just makes it more fun. I'd guess the eye has to be cut off... Have your friend match up the seals online and see if they'll stretch over the eye, maybe order an extra
Can't say I ever dealt with these people but at least might be worth a look and maybe a phone call: http://www.potterassoc.com/vee-packing-sets.html They came up by just doing a Google search for "hydraulic chevron packing"