we have a thread about breaks at work so how about the holiday entitlements in your country?
I used to get 4 week off per year + public holidays, but now I work casual...
I'm self-employed, I don't have any entitlements....:cool2
Seems the norm 'round here is 1 week paid vacation for 1 to 3 years of service then 2 weeks paid after 3 years of service plus all National Holidays. Trouble is in this economy finding an employer that will last 3 years let alone 1.
Yeah, me too. No work no pay and possibly work and no pay or worse, pay to work
My present job working as an expatriate overseas gives me 4 weeks annual leave with flights paid back to the point of hire (UK in my case), plus 4 x 5-day "long weekends" per year with flights paid to London. That works fine for me as a Brit because for an additional $150 or so I can easily get home from London. For the Australians on our job site it doesn't get them back home the same but I haven't heard anyone knocking it, from London they'll do something like Paris, Madrid, Venice, or similar. Those vacation conditions may seem good but bear in mind my work week is 6 full days, usually about 70-80 hours on average, and we work all local Public Holidays ...........
I work for my dad so it's 7 days a week (6 days making money and one day putting everything back together that broke).
6 days of work and actually making money?? You lucky dog!
I am 35 years self employed so days off are on a sometimes or if at all. Mates of mine work in the coal mines in aussie and make $100 thousand+ a year and work 2 weeks on and then 2 weeks off, and flown home The only advantage of being self employed is your the last to get the sack
Just the National holidays, unpaid like they should be. No paid vacation, you won't hear me complain. (Im even union, so you union bashers can talk umungst yerselves on that one!) And the typical layoff during the worst of the winter months here in the Great Northwest when its to wet, cold, froze, snowy or just down-right miserable to be out trying to move dirt, but we still try!
I'm just curious, why shouldn't you get paid for National Holidays?
Yeah. What CM said. Also explains why I don't stop for lunch.
Why should you be paid for a day off? You don't get paid for weekends unless you work do you? I think the only reason why Holidays get paid by some employers is because they don't care enough about their employes to pay them a decent wage in the first place.
Okay, Fair enough answer. I look at differently, I would rather work but am forced to take the day off. You are right about not being paid well, I don't think employers give a rats @$$ about employees anymore, twenty years ago there was such a thing as loyalty that went both ways, that is long gone these days.
Employers know that paid holidays, and for that matter, paid vacations and sick days, cost them money. They just figure that cost and calculate it into what they're paying per hour. Everybody loves the feeling of getting something for nothing, and that's what employees feel like when they get paid for a holiday. If, as an employee, you're in touch with reality, you know that you're taking home a little less per hour than you'd get if you only got paid for the hours you actually worked. If you're not getting paid well enough for the hours you work, that's a different issue.
Like CM and digger I too am self enslaved! Lol. You know you've been working too hard when you feel quilty for NOT working week ends and holidays. :crazy: I get more days off than I care for, due to weather and break downs. It's funny how things work out......nahh maybe not ! :beatsme :Banghead
Didn't mean to leave you out DPete ! As for pay to work ....I didnt know there was any other way ! Lol. ointhead
There are none here other then paid vacation. Houston is so industrialized work can be 24/7 not even paid double time ETC. When I look at employers I take everything in account. Funny some of you mention being self-employed, so you don't have any entitlements. When the majority of the owners I know are the worse and walk around with there nose in the air. Taking more time off then anyone and expecting there employees to pick up the slack. Thats there right as an employer not an employee.
I'm self employed, but I don't have any employees either. When I'm not working there's nobody to pick up the slack.
Yep me too - no employees. I can pat myself on the back or blame myself if something goes wrong. I can gripe about the employees and the boss at the same time.
I am my own worst employee but then again my boss is a d**k ! Hmmmmm:beatsme lol.
Us self employed have no time off. If we have work, we are putting in all the houirs it takes to get it done, and if we don't have any work, we are hard at finding some. It has been a battle the last few years. I have employees, buy put in more time than any of them. I am the only one who works without pay, so if there is any slack, I am the one picking it up.
An aussie miner. 6 weeks based on a 35 hr week paid annual leave. We average about 44 hrs of work a week. 105 hours sick leave, equal to 15 x 7 hr days. 13 weeks long service leave after 8 years. On our current roster we work 12 .5 hour day and night shifts and work all public holidays if they fall on our rostered on periods. The mine only closes for 2 days, Christmas day and Boxing day.
Our mine doesn't close at all. 24/7, 365 days a year, 366 this year ..............
Damn leap year!:Banghead
New Zealand wage workers get 4 weeks per year . I,m self employed so that doesn't count , I take holidays when I,m told , by the better half !! Basically I work weekends and don't take holidays if there is work to be done , like many others world over
As a Teamster, we have the same deal. I do not look forward to holidays, it means time off without pay and makes my families finances tougher.