Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Holly Crap a wild ride

Hank R · 2024-12-30 11:42

Got form my source at the Highland Valley mine. near Logan Lake. I bet the tow truck driver was shitting his pants , this happened on Saturday. The mine converted a old Haul tuck into a tow truck, it was towing a broken down back to the shop. When it spun out and slide down the haul road.

Replies32
  1. #1Hank R2024-12-30 11:44

    This is what the combination looks like in the summer.

  2. #2DDoug2024-12-30 13:30

    Did they add any weights when they converted it ?

  3. #3Nige2024-12-30 13:39

    I've had experience of Tow-Haul tow trucks. When he picks up the front of the dead haul truck there is an imposed load on the rear axle of the tow truck of somewhere around 40T. There should be a counterweight installed on the front bumper of the tow truck but if this was a home-brewed deal maybe whoever built it figured they didn't need one. Whoopsie......... https://towhaul.com/gooseneck/

  4. #4DDoug2024-12-30 13:41

    Yes, extra weight is needed for traction, not just to keep the front end down.

  5. #5Hank R2024-12-30 14:13

    Yes they did add weight I have no idea as to how much.

  6. #692U 34062024-12-30 14:21

    I've been around the mines enough to know this will involve huge amounts of paperwork and probably **** tests all around.

  7. #7Hank R2024-12-30 14:45

    Most likely enough paper work to fill the haul truck box...

  8. #8Hank R2024-12-30 16:59

    Yes they added 65,000 lbs of weight to front.

  9. #9Nige2024-12-30 18:20

    Not doubting you, but TBH I don’t see 65k pounds there…. EDIT: Compare the Highland Valley tow truck to the photo I posted above.

  10. #10DDoug2024-12-30 18:27

    If the mines are into making their own stuff, I wonder if they use an electric drive truck and had some extra electric wheels laying around, mount them in the front for a 4x4 truck...... if your gonna tow, TOW !

  11. #11Hank R2024-12-30 19:51

    I understand you 100% my self I have not seen the tow truck just passing on what I was told.

  12. #12Truck Shop2025-01-11 20:35

    Spun out-broke traction-road with a layer of ice-no gravel on road surface-tires that are nothing more than big slicks, that left a smooth trail. One---where was the 1" rock spread on road for traction. Two----I can't see in photo but no chains--if they have chains for those. Three--If they don't---then go back to "One" Four---weight will do no good if you have no friction---it just makes go faster in reverse. Five---a train engine/locomotive is a heavy mother f--ker but in some cases just a little sand will get things moving------eat your prunes.

  13. #13Oxbow2025-01-11 21:26

    You're dabbling.

  14. #14Coaldust2025-01-11 21:37

    I spun an unloaded triple- seven 360 degrees, upon decent into the pit, at Chimney Creek in 19 and 91. Gold Fields Operating company. Golconda NV. Went to the line to wait for the shovel. Like nothing happened. Never volunteered to fill in for operations again.

  15. #15Truck Shop2025-01-11 21:42

    Not hardly----That's a real easy one for most to overthink. Towing is part of my forte.

  16. #16Truck Shop2025-01-11 21:56

    I think it would be safe to assume this same set-up has towed up this same mine haul road when it was bare dirt/rock.

  17. #17HardRockNM2025-01-11 21:57

    I spun a 773B/F frankentruck in the Morenci district up by Malpais Mountain a few years back due to overwatering. That was exciting. The original post is about a 4/10 on the "OH ****" scale when 793s are involved. I've seen considerably worse.

  18. #1892U 34062025-01-11 22:10

    Those haul trucks seem to go squirrely even in just regular mud. Have seen a loaded T282 drift on a haul road in a rainstorm once or twice.

  19. #19LN Pipeline2025-01-11 22:37

    You’re right about that. I drove 777s for a while, and putting down a little too much water with the water truck was enough to make those trucks slide off the road. It’s amazing how little traction they have with just a bit of moisture.

  20. #20Shimmy12025-01-11 23:02

    Lololol

  21. #21Truck Shop2025-01-12 10:09

    My---folks are saying lack of traction with just moisture. Four tires that are meant for hauling extreme weight that are essentially slicks with a few lugs. And a toboggan also, requiring a very rough surface {like rock} for traction. A mine that has no rock piled around?

  22. #22Truck Shop2025-01-12 11:45

    Oh yess--I was smite'd by a lurker of low ability and unimportance.

  23. #23LN Pipeline2025-01-12 12:44

    Actually, they have six tires.

  24. #24Truck Shop2025-01-12 16:36

    Well I'm glad you pointed that out----it just makes for a wider toboggan.

  25. #2592U 34062025-01-12 16:42
  26. #26.RC.2025-01-12 16:53

    But they have seven wheels. Never forget the steering wheel.

  27. #27Nige2025-01-12 17:17

    What you must never forget is the nut that holds said steering wheel..........

  28. #28LN Pipeline2025-01-12 17:47

    Fun times. Our 777s had oversized buckets on them. It was not uncommon for them to end up on their side. Those trucks must be tough, cause I don’t remember any major damage. The mine finally locked out the last gear and that greatly reduced tip overs. Imagine if berms weren’t built on roadways. I road that berm all the way to the bottom of the ramp more than once.

  29. #29Truck Shop2025-01-12 17:51
  30. #30Nige2025-01-12 18:40

    Usually apart from a bust mirror or two and maybe the end of an exhaust pipe flattened nothing serious ever happened to any truck that was put on its side, basically because nothing major protrudes past the body sidewall. I well recall back in the late 70s with early-model 777s operators spinning them on purpose in the frost on the way down into the hole when work kicked off at 0-dark-30 on a Monday morning - no weekend work in those days. It was considered to be no bigge back then.

  31. #31alco2025-04-15 14:23

    The weight box can be seen in the pictures of the Highland Valley truck. An important consideration is that the largest truck they have is a 793, so not as much weight would be needed as in your photo of a larger truck being towed.

  32. #32Welder Dave2025-04-16 19:42

    Once a vehicle starts spinning it loses the coefficient of friction and that will make it slide even worse than if the tires were stopped. When my former neighbor got his first 4x4 truck he figured if he put it in reverse after locking the brakes on ice it would slow down faster. Nope, the spinning tires wouldn't allow any traction and would make it slide further. That's why anti-lock brakes are good idea.