Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Home made Grease/Oil trap for cleaning a machine?

okney1lz ยท 2010-05-14 11:14

So I want to steam clean my machine, but don't want to create a Superfund site in the process! I was thinking maybe lay some plastic down and then landscape fabric on top of that. Then maybe a home made grease trap out of 5 gallon buckets. This would require washing uphill of the trap, but i think I can achieve this. I have about 6 of those 250 gallon skid mounted containers and could use them if needed. I also thought about driving it to a car wash, but that seems like an unfriendly thing to do if you catch my meaning. What with putting 40 years of grease and dirt in their traps! So anyone else have any thoughts on this? How do you guys clean your machines before painting? Etc, etc..

Replies1
  1. #1piecrazy42010-05-14 14:22

    you could make a seperator for with a drain the oil will float on the water so you can drain water from bottom and oil from toop into some type of container.