Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Home made Kubota KX91-3 thumb

ottawamerc ยท 2014-01-29 08:29

I thought I would share with you guys my build of a thumb kit for my KX91-3. I priced out some kits that were commercially available but they all seemed quite expensive so I decided to build my own. I started out by building prototypes out of plywood then I bought a cylinder at Princess auto for a reasonable price of $140. I had to adapt the cylinder slightly to get it to work though. I then took my plywood prototype to a hydro cutting contractor, they did a great job matching my design and cutting the 5/8" plate steel. This was the most expensive part of $500, the only other thing I had done was get some bushings machined for the pivot pin. I welded it all together and assembled all the parts. I tried it out and so far I'm very happy with its operation.

Replies8
  1. #1joispoi2014-01-29 09:49

    That looks indestructible. :drinkup Do you have a pressure relief block on the thumb circuit?

  2. #2ottawamerc2014-01-29 12:23

    Ya the mini ex had it preplumbed and the top mount was allready there

  3. #3Yellowdog2014-02-06 14:41

    Very nice.. and looks very tough. It's too bad the gloss black will get dirty. I love a fresh paint job!

  4. #4jack3452014-02-06 23:33

    You're lucky! mine was preplumbed too but no relief. Nice job , what year is your Kx ?

  5. #5ottawamerc2014-02-08 07:52

    It's a 2004

  6. #6Lil' Puss2014-02-08 12:25

    Very nice job.

  7. #7mxridernrth2014-02-10 18:12

    Nice job! Did you fab up the main pin too for that price? What material was it made from and did you have it hardened (if you don't mind me asking)? I have a very similar thumb on my TB153 and one thing I would like to do when I have time (which will probably mean never) is add two more tines to the inside.

  8. #8ottawamerc2014-03-02 13:54

    The only thing I needed for the main pin is a bushing and a pin and no its not hardened its just 5/8 plate steel and doubled at the pivot point.