Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Home Made Loam/ Soil Screener

wilddanz71 · 2010-05-20 20:01

Any one make one? I want to make some thing simple like the old school farmers around here use. I want to make a screener that I can screen loam to 1/2" or 3/4" and load it with my skid steer. Any one out there got one that i can get some ideas from? As crazy as it may sound I am a Carpenter and it would be easy for me to make something out of wood, with a heavy steel screen. This is just for around the house not to make a living with! Any sugestions???

Replies10
  1. #1Mavrickxxx2010-05-20 22:18

    If your not making a biz outta it have thought of stockpileing the topsoil u wanna screen n renting one. U can screen alot of topsoil in a day. I bought mine this year I used to rent it for three fifty for 8 hrs n I would make up over hundred yrds n more if it was really dry

  2. #2andoman2010-05-20 23:15

    wood won't hold up.

  3. #3792DLC2010-05-21 00:04

    Straw walkers from a combine.

  4. #4wilddanz712010-05-21 06:35

    were can I find a cheap screen material?

  5. #5Paw Paws Toy2010-05-21 07:33

    I made an attachment for my mustang 940 out of square tubing to grub prickly pear. The main section is rectangular (approximately 3' by 5') to which I attached "teeth" made out of more square tubing. I covered the rectangular portion of the top with expanded metal (approximately 3/8" thick by 1" wide) to sift the sandy loam out. I got the metal at a scrap metal yard. It works great when the soil is dry except for the dust that it creates. It is at the farm and I do not have any pictures of it.

  6. #6xcmark2010-05-21 22:01

    Make a grizzley , it will cost around 1500 in steel.... a bunch of 3/4" or 1" round bar and build a 3 sided box that has a 45* angle , like roof on a house. the shirt side wants to be about 3~4 ' high and the tall side wants to be around 7~8; depending on your may bucket tip hight. put the round bar about 2" apart running down the slope of the roof. I built one with my buddie , 4x4 sq tubes for the legs and sides and we welded up and painted it in about 16 man hours. Its been loaded with a 36" bucket on a 30000 lb excavator and loaded with a skidsteer. If the soils dry you can do a yard in 2~4 mins depending on how wet it is.

  7. #7atgreene2010-05-22 16:31

    The bottom screen on my EZ Screen I made out of expanded metal. Easy to get hold of and held up real well considering. You'll need a top screen/grizzly to protect it, but that's easy enough to make.

  8. #8tanveer2010-08-23 11:59

    Expanded metal 'Such a useful thread I’ve been looking this topic everywhere!' expanded metal architectural metal metal cladding

  9. #9TriHonu2010-08-24 01:19

    I have a couple expanded metal screens that are framed with some heavy angle iron. When I need to screen, I set a couple posts with a cross bar and lean them against it. Works well and the screens are easy to move and store.

  10. #10krugster2011-08-24 10:44

    Do you rent your screen out still?