I'm building a root rake out of a chisel plow for my skid steer. I'm just wondering if it would be better to push it or pull it backing up. Used a three point hitch one pulling it backwards with a skid steer and it worked fine but my thought is the pins aren't really made to pull a load. The way I'm making it the shanks can easily be turned around for a push style.
Going forward is better for visibility but you need a depth control to prevent it from trying to dig deeper. Pulling backwards will work but it could plug up between the rake and the frame and you have drive over all the stuff you're trying to clear. The pins shouldn't be a problem.
I made it to push forward right now. I cleaned a few cedars up with it I pulled last summer and it seems to work fine. The tines can be tilted back far enough they run flat with ground which should help keep it from pulling into the ground and are real close to the bobtach. Time will tell if it ever dries up enough to get back into clearing brush.