I had my sons friend that has a JD 35 excavator do some work for a retaining wall. Did a great job. I had been looking for a Ford 555 backhoe and he had told me an excavator is so much better. I have many small projects that will nickel & dime me to death since I have about 100 acres. Plus both of my kids will be building in the future. he said a JD 50 would be a better machine for stone and stump work since it is a bit heavier. I do not plan on transporting it so weight is not an issue. But I do like the rubber track repair price and ease of repairing according to him. Anybody with any opinions on a machine ?
What else are you going to do with it? I would prefer the hoe overall. How fast will that 50 travel? Something like 66 feet in one and a half minutes? They both have there place. The 555 is a very versatile machine. You can use it for many different jobs on a 100 acres for many years. What do you do with the JD50 when the heavy work is finished? Rent a heavy machine for heavy work or hire the work out. It could be less expensive with an experienced operator. Just my thoughts.
I would have to agree with you since I would not want to beat the FEL on my tractor.