Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Honda GX630

Twisted ยท 2016-08-04 10:55

I'm having a small issue with a Honda engine. It seems so simple but I'm stumped. It's a GX630 on a portable pressure washer so it has the remote throttle and choke controls. I pulled the carb off for a cleaning and I can't figure out where the throttle return spring hooks to. None of the holes make sense and I couldn't find any info on the web. I was wondering if anyone has advice or pics to help me out. Here are some pics of the spring and location. Spring. It goes on the top side in this pic. Here is a birds-eye of the throttle control rod. I'm assuming it hooks to the lever on the left side but there's nowhere to hook the right side to. Thanks for any advice. Twisted

Replies8
  1. #1Birken Vogt2016-08-04 12:02

    I did cylinder heads on one of these, much older, about a year ago. I took lots of pictures for this sort of thing but I lost them. But try this on for size: http://www.partstree.com/parts/hond...an-sn-gcbbk-1000001-to-gcbbk-9999999/control/ If it is too far off find your serial number and try something closer. I can't tell the scale from your spring but if it is a real fine spring those are used in parallel with the linkage between the governor arm and throttle lever to take the slack out of that linkage and keep the engine from hunting. Usually the link runs through the coils of the spring. If it is a heavier spring then it is usually hooked to the speed adjusting part and tends to pull the governor arm/throttle shaft open. The governor itself pulls it closed as well as that small spring you see around the throttle shaft so there isn't really a throttle return spring like a truck.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-08-04 12:54

    I think BV is correct, that's just an anti-chatter spring, goes over the link rod and probably hooks into that slot in the governor arm? The actual return spring you can see coiled under the governor arm there.

  3. #3Twisted2016-08-04 13:05

    That makes sense. There is a little hook on the plastic clip that holds the rod in. I missed that before. I slid the rod through the spring & it fit perfectly. I can overhaul a dozer engine but I can't hook up a little spring. Haha Thanks guys!

  4. #4BlazinSS9342016-08-04 13:09

    I take pictures of small stuff like this all the time. Helps when reassembling especially after waiting for parts. The GX series are nice motors. We have one in a Dynapac 1.5 ton roller Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5Twisted2016-08-04 21:09

    It only has 10 hours on the engine and it won't start. It's been storming like crazy here all summer and it sits outside so I assumed it had some water in the bowl. The key won't work but it cranks if I jump the solenoid but only fires if I dump gas in the carb. Oil is up and I can't figure out what would cause no crank and no gas at the same time. Bowl was empty when I pulled the carb. It might be two separate issues but they both happened at the same time. I have to weld and rebuild a busted gearbox on a brush mower then rebuild a track tensioner on a D65 for some customers. This new stuff gives me issues. I fix customers projects with no problem but my junk really gives me a headache. I often think it's better financially for me to fix other people's stuff and hire my own junk fixed. Silly as it is.....

  6. #6old-iron-habit2016-08-04 23:24

    I have 2 Honda 2000 generators. On both of them I can turn the gas and vent open, wait five minutes and they start on the first pull, or I can pull for five minutes with the gas on before they start. My pressure washer with a 14 HP Honda has the same starting quirk but that one only needs the gas on for two to three minutes for one pull starting. Don't know where the gas in the carb goes that quick. Oil stays clean and if they set for 6 hrs or more its the same old process. Friends with the same generator model have the same starting quirk.

  7. #7lantraxco2016-08-04 23:26

    looked at a Honda manual, says this model has a fuel cutoff solenoid, if it isn't cranking and won't get gas, I would assume you're losing power somewhere between the battery lead at the starter and the key switch or maybe just a bad switch. Supposed to be a 30 amp mini fuse, look for a harness end with a cover on the plug, fuse is under the cover. Right behind the key switch on the back of the control box cover?

  8. #8Twisted2016-08-05 09:10

    Ahhh... That makes sense. I checked the solenoid on the carb and it was working but I never checked for power to it. I'm sure I'll get it licked if I can get to it today. Thanks again guys!