One of the pins for the 312 excavator bucket has to be pounded in part of the way after sliding in by hand most of the way. The pin goes part way into the bushing that has the locking bolt hole drilled through it, then I can not push it by hand any further and have to pound it in. The other bucket hole the pins slides in all the way by hand. I had the bucket holes repaired a while ago, welded up and then redrilled/bored and had to pound the pin in then also. I want to hone this bucket hole so I do not have to pound the pin in and with out the present pounding it out when switching buckets.:bash What ideas do you have on going about honing the hole?:beatsme As I do not have a honing tool yet which tool do you recommend I purchase to do this project?
Yair . . . lake side bob Us rough old bush mechanics sometimes use a Tennisee or Bedourie or Alabama hone . . . take your pick---essentialy its just a piece of round bar say 1/2" or 5/8" split a few inches with a hacksaw. Chuck it up in a suitable sized drill, slip some coarse emery tape into the slit and wind on enough tape (in the right direction) so you can just get it into the hole. As you are cutting concentrate the weight on the side of the hole that's tight . . . keep checking with the pin, it can work quicker than you would think. Cheers
Scrub Puller I tried that and it cleaned up the bosses. One of the pins goes through all 4 bosses. The other goes through the bosses with one end but not the other where the retaining bolt hole is located. I am going to take the pins to a machine shop and have them measured the one pin that will not go through the holes on the one end must be too large on that that end. I will find out. Thank you for your reply.
If it is a old pin where the retainer bolt goes through it will mushroom the bolt hole and make it hard to get out. You can hit with a grinder and try again.
Number one fix is to get the bloke back to do what you paid him to do in the first place But first check for a bent pin. I have occasionally come across new pins that aren't straight.Put it through the first hole and slide it through till not quite presenting into the second bore. Turn the pin and if its bent it will run out and will be plain to see. If the bore has to be relieved a bit get yourself a Spiro Band.Its just a rubber mandrel 50mm with a 6 mm shank that will fit into a air die grinder. You can buy whatever grit bands to go on them that you want. An 80 grit would do it. Present the pin up against the far bore and tap it in.Take it out and see where the mark is that the pin has made in the bore. If say the pin marks the bottom of the bore take the pin right out and buff the outside bottom of the first bore and also the inside top,allowing the pin to pivot up. This saves just ripping out metal of the whole bore and ending up with a badly oversize fit.