I am curious has any one ever seen a 5th wheel mounted to a hooklift bed? I am needing a dump truck and have been considering a hooklift for use as a dump truck, I probably won't be buying for 4 to 6 months. I was wondering if I was to buy a hook lift could I have a 5th wheel bed made up and pull a lowboy and barrel bed with the same truck I could be useing as a dump? If anyone has links or pictures of a set up similar to this please share.
Pretty common practice in Oz to have tandem tippers that convert to 5th wheels, so why not a hook lift/5th wheel convertible! Usually the tipper has over centre lamps holding it to the chassis and short hydraulic cylinders to lift it for removal, the hydraulic hose for the hoist has a break away coupling. I have seen them done where the tipper sits over the 5th wheel which is permanently fixed. Hope this helps
thanks for the pics wastednights. I have seen a few pics of trucks like you listed here, just one question what is an "over center lamp"? and do you know how long of time it is required to switch from dump body to 5th wheel on these setups? I was thinking more a hook lift frame with a 5th wheel bolted to it so it would take about 60 seconds and the flip of a couple switches to change from tractor to dump truck.
Lamp = Clamp hahaha Usually less than 10 minutes to swap
That's a pretty cool setup . I take it you cant get buy with a short dump trailer ? http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/7270553/1979-dorsey