Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hot Tanking

cmgond57 · 2023-06-14 10:58

Good Morning, Does anybody have experience with hot tanking vs reverse eletrolysis? I'm extremely familiar with the process, I'm asking about RESULTS. My goal is to remove grease, rust and paint to prep the block for painting. And I understand that grease can be removed with solvents as can paint with paint remover, wie brushing or sand blasting. Again I'm looking for experience with results. Thanks in advance! Chas

Replies12
  1. #1Coaldust2023-06-14 11:38

    No comparison. Hot, caustic hot tank cleaner is the bees knees. But, regulatory wise, I haven’t seen a hot tank spewing, steaming and bubbling in the back corner of a shop since the days of grunge music. But, I say let’s bring flannel and hot caustic back into vogue. You go first.

  2. #2Coaldust2023-06-14 11:56

    The other thing I miss is the 5 gallon pail of stoddard solvent and the solvent sprayer stuck in the hole in the lid. In the back of the service truck. Until, alas, that fateful day, the safety/environmental guy took her away from me.

  3. #3Old Doug2023-06-14 13:28

    First what are you wanting to do this to and why???

  4. #4fast_st2023-06-14 15:02

    Workin on antique junk, poor mans hot tank, a couple cans of ez-off scrape off what you can, ez-off and wait, then pressure wash or even just a garden hose, repeat a couple times and almost all the paint will come off with the grease and old gaskets and everything else.

  5. #5cmgond572023-06-14 17:38

    How is hot tanking for heavy rust. My thoughts were to RE for rust then hot tank?

  6. #6cmgond572023-06-14 17:39

    How about heavy rust. Thinking RE for rust then HT to clean?

  7. #7cmgond572023-06-14 17:40

    As I said in the original. Prepping a block to paint.

  8. #8Coaldust2023-06-14 18:12

    Heavy rust goes away and Non-ferous disappears.

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-06-14 18:18

    Round knotted wire brush on a die grinder, first soaked with Evapo-Rust, repeat. Hot tanks went out a long time ago most are block ovens now.

  10. #10Mike L2023-06-14 18:50

    Wait. Flannel went out of style? I’m also still listening to Pearl Jam and nirvana.

  11. #11crane operator2023-06-14 23:06

    Coaldust has to be up on the latest fashions, he's got the girls at the coffee shop to impress with his sartorial splendor. I still sport a flannel on a cool morning.

  12. #12Coaldust2023-06-14 23:16

    Look at that! FR flannel is available. Had no idea. Maybe I can, step up my game, after all.