hi all! just joined in hopes i can get some information on an old wheel loader. Hough 50 series, straight frame, 8" channel iron for main rails. It's got the "Z" arms for the bucket linkage with the 3rd spool, which is currently for a Drott 4in1. Its been swapped to a dodge 318LA, as the original 6cyl International gave up the ghost back in the late 70's. The dodge 318 as been an absolute brute, right into the year of 2021 when i parked it. The reason of park was the splines stripped on the machine side of the accessory drive for the hydraulic pump. I've been thinking/pondering/measuring/attempting to relocate the pump so the crankshaft will drive it. It's doable, it'll look goofy with two hydraulic lines following the exterior of the frame, just need a different radiator, and move the coolers up a bit to clear the pump/bracket/driveshaft off the pulley. Honestly given the age of the machine, what it's been through, the work to drop and disassemble the accessory drive, and parts being difficult to find (if replacements exist?) and the chances of ruining or damaging something else to get to it, i think it's the best bet just to extend the suction and pressure lines and buy a more modern pump and drive it right off the crankshaft. My biggest questions are where can i find literature or any type of reference that will help me with the drivetrain/axles/planetaries? Everything after the bell housing is factory as far as the accessory drive box, and the dropbox/transmission/differentials. I need information of fluids, capacities, where to fill/drain, filter specs, anything and everything on this old machine. It's a serious crutch for me, as the township is all up my butt, and i have over 100 acres of property to clear, and this drott 4in1 is my savior to make life EXTREMELY easy with all the loose junk on the property. please help! i can provide pictures if needed for help to identify or if any questions.
Not too many guys around anymore that have worked on these units. They are scarce in comparison to old Cats or Deere's. Maybe someone will be able to help. Simon C
i know. i'm not sitting very good given the age of the machine and those who are still standing. Gives to show just how good these machines are.
jensales has a hough 50C manual avaiable, but the picture samples do not show the "Z" arm's like mine has. Are there different variations of the 50 C series? What's the differences from Hough regarding H50A, H50B, H50C? The iron cast plate on the front of mine machine has 50C on it. But that probably doesn't mean anything.
Mine just says H50 on the front plate.
Are cats and deere's in that era actually that much better? I feel like the fact this was burned and welded together to/from channel iron and plate steel seems very...shade tree industrial. The fact my old man cobbled a 1969 mopar 318LA in it tells me: 1 he was cheap (we all are) 2 cheaper to just swap in a different engine (vs rebuild? really?) 3 cheaper to make your own bell housing (lathe bed? best i got) 4 move important things like the starter to block the oil filter on the block (rotation issues? besides that seems pointless) 5 i don't see this possible as a net gain (in the best scenario, and this was well past the depression times.) 6 unless youre that damn cheap. (props! ***??)
I see a few operators and part manuals on Ebay OP manuals might have fluid capacity spec
You may want to check over on this site. There is a wealth of IH information over there about like there is here on Cat equipment. Boards www.redpowermagazine.com
I did find some information with the help of a forum member. There's a good chance the stripped out gear i need is NLA, so the pump relocate will probably continue. And i don't feel like pulling this engine and accessory drive out in the woods. Welding some brackets and hanging a pump and some hoses is way less work.
Great news. I I timed the cam 2* advanced for a fuzz more torque coming off an idle found the factory hydraulic tank assembly, tank filter, and the part# for the element is still a good # 122731.Getting one tomorrow to see if it fits. On the accessory drive there's a filter housing too, part# 130045 for that element, I'm working on that one still. Been doing some work on the engine, as it's a standard dodge 318LA, after new cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil/waterpump/timingchain and gear. I mocked up the trans cooler, dribbled some juice down its throat, and she lit right up and idled. Starter didn't make the rotor move half rotation. Instant fire. Grabbed oil pressure immediately too. Tried the clutch packs, and it started to move even with the assembly down on the ground with a fast idle. It's still got its grunt!!! So going to drain/replace the transmission fluids, and top off the planetaries and differentials. So, gonna order a salami pump from Baily's. I think I'm gonna go with 35gpm @ 2500rpm. When I installed new timing gear and chain, I advanced the camshaft by 2 degrees, should give me torque sooner/earlier curve/peak when I tip in from idle. I honestly don't know what the original pump was. Its got a 1.5" suction and a 7/8" jic for pressure side. I wanted high GPM for running attachments with the 3rd spool. Opinions? Maybe 35gpm is too much since I'll be revving a bit to drive it around?