I have a hough 90 e. The 573 engine is weak. I would like to repower it this winter. Do you have any knowledge or suggestions. I have a 8v92 detroit is that a possibility? the 573 operates at 2600 rpm. any help would be appreciated. thank you
The specs on my dvt 573b show 190 hp@ 2400 rpms I'm sure a 8v92 will have plenty of hp and rpms. I would also think both are pretty close in size and weight. I sent you a pm. Btw Welcome John.
250cThank you for the reply. I thought the 573 was more h.p. The detroit is at about 400. I am not sure how low the detroit can go. I am interested in the problems in connecting the crank on the detroit to the torque converter in the H90E. If someone has experence on this subject I am all ears. thanks again john
The back of the engines are designed to fit certain SAE sizes for bell housings. The Hough torque converter fits into an internal gear in the flywheel. Finding a flywheel with that gear tooth pattern and fitting it to the engine crankshaft will be your biggest problem. You should also keep in mind that the drive train in total will never take that much horse power for very long without turning to shrapnel. An 8V71 would probably be a better bet but you will still have the flywheel issue. Good Luck!
John H I've seen some specs that show the 573 @ 240 hp in trucks but it's hard to pin down what it would be in your loader. John C is right about the torque converter and flywheel being your biggest obsticle. In the 250 e the 573 was replaced with a cummings (817 comes to mind but my mind is not very reliable lol) but I'm not sure if they used the same torque converter. You might check with the guys over @ Red Power
johnC. and 250c thank you for replying. I know you are right. The silver 92 is too big I doubt if I can get it much under 400 hp. Komacho had a kit to upgrade the 90e with the 573 to I think a 8.3 cummins that ran at 2600 rpm. the problem was it cost about $20000new. I think I will persue that direction next. In the mean time I will keep smoking along. I am loading gravel with it only for myself so it only runs a few minutes an hour. When winter gets here I am going to pull the engine andsee what I can come up with. I really appreciate your thoughts, Thanks again john
Fix the 573,remember the best rigged up crap is still rigged up crap.
I second shop guys comment. I have a h-90E and did a full rebuild on the 573 about 8 years ago. Rings,bearings,all seals everything right down to a rebuilt schwitzer twin inlet and outlet turbo from h&r construction parts. Boy does that machine sound beautiful now! plenty of power, and no oil burning anymore.
shopguy and zlssefi thanks for your thoughts. Do you have any ideas where to get overhaul kits for it. The local dealer didn't encourage me he wasn't sure we could get all the parts. I checked the repower kit is now $22000. John
22000 holy moly! my diesel mechanic got all the parts so im not sure where he went. The total job was 12000 when i did it.
Yea i have a friend with a 573 in a H90 ,good quite engine,starts before you can let go of the key.
the $22000 is for a new engine and kit to repower it from komatso.
John, there was a guy listing aftermarket kits on ebay for $1900 but I just checked and they are no longer available.I'm kinda in the same boat with you as I'm going to need to do something with my 250c's engine soon. I have a new 8.3 engine and another like new takeout but they seem tiny compared to the 573. I'd sure hate to do a converision and end up with something underpowered. I do know that 8.3 was used in a little smaller internation dozer but I don't about the flywheel setup.
Happy thanksgiving everyone. We have many reasons to be thankful. 250c I know what you mean about about the other smaller sized engines that have the same hp ratings as the 573. I have been thinking about my detroit. It is about the same physical size as the 573. both are turboed. I wonder what I can get my detroit hp downto if i remove the turbo and put smaller injectors in it? I think detroits are a little overrated in hp anyway I have a few more weeks of gravel hauling and then I am going to pull the 573. I think I will know what to do after I see the flywheel and I will have to open the 573 up and see what it looks like.I hoped someone would respond with experence in repowering. I am not against rebuilding the 573but I will be careful I can find everything I need before I start.
John I don't think you would be able to remove the turbo. Detroit made an 8v92 non turbo version but I'm pretty sure it uses differant pistons.
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/a...4l-turbo-diesel-v8-engine-rebuild-kit-product http://www.engineking.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_16&products_id=623