I’m going to be looking at one of these loaders soon and I’m told it needs brake work. Wondering how difficult it is to do the job and find parts for this machine.
Been many years since I worked on those old Houghs but seem to recall they used air-over hydraulic wedge brakes. I'm not positive on the 100's but know the 120's did. As for availability of parts that is anyone's guess. If I was to try to fix them these days I would try to located the oldest brake shop around and then find the grouchiest old guy there and talk nice to him! Keep in mind that even when that machine was new those brakes were somewhat dated and now it's half a century later! I guess the first thing would be to figure out if problems are in the air side at least that side would be somewhat easier to source parts for as they are pretty much the same as straight air brake systems. Next best problem would be the air over hydraulic cylinder(s), good chance you could rebuild them with parts from NAPA or a good brake shop. About the worst place to have problems would be the wheel cylinders and wedge assemblies. Of course this does not take into account the brake linings and drums, that would be another story in own!
trying to open a steering cylinder on hough h100 it doesn't just screw off
I did reply to you other post.