Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough H65C

Snuffy2 ยท 2014-02-10 09:47

I am looking for any information on where to acquire parts for this loader. I am in south west Michigan. I just bought this machine , listed as "work ready" but after unloading it from the truck it has a bad radiator leak, no third gear, and a blown hydraulic hose the the return side of the bucket cylinder(under the cab). I bought the unit as a farm loader but it looks as if I must do a lot of work first. Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Replies22
  1. #1kshansen2014-02-10 19:27

    Can't say if they still have any parts around for that vintage machine but at one time these people were good for our Hough used needs: http://www.hrparts.com/index.html#sthash.rBWw1Zbp.dpbs The radiator, any good radiator shop should be able to take care of that, after you remove it! Hose should be no problem if you have any good hose shops in your area. Not sure where Mendon is, if farm country stop at any farm equipment dealer. If they can't make it they should know who can. As for the third gear problem, first make sure transmission oil is at the right level. Most likely should be checked with engine running.

  2. #2Snuffy22014-02-11 11:48

    Thanks for the response, I took the radiator to "Frontier" and they are now putting in a new core (1600.00) I am pretty new to this game so I may ask a bunch of silly questions please bear with me.

  3. #3lenray2014-02-11 18:11

    I hAD TWO Hough H 60 D machines. Mine were straight frame machines. One had third and one didn't. With the straight frame --rear wheel steer---you couldn't keep the machine on the road in 3 rd. gear. So I didn't need 3 rd. Thinking your machine might be ARTICULATED and if it is 3 rd. might be needed for faster road travel. Clare, michigan The experts on Houghs SEEM TO BE IN THE Grand Rapids SW area of lthe state.

  4. #4Snuffy22014-02-12 06:44

    Thanks for the response, You are correct this machine is articulated. the engine seems to be a DT 407. It starts and runs OK when the coolant heater is plugged in. I took the radiator to Grand Rapids and was surprised to see so many heavy equipment places around the west end of 28th street. Thanks for the "heads up".

  5. #5steve wherley2014-02-15 11:14

    what engine in it IH or Detroit? may have rad

  6. #6Snuffy22014-02-16 06:57

    Good morning ,Thanks for the response, The engine is a DT407. I picked up the radiator Friday and installed it yesterday. Took about six hours in 20 degree barn. Not my most pleasant experience. Thanks

  7. #7Snuffy22014-02-18 05:48

    Good morning, As for the transmission problem. I filled the transmission to the upper level and all three gears now work. Third gear does not seem to be attaining top speed. The manual says the top speed is around 28 mph forward and 30 mph in reverse, I seem to be getting about half that speed. One other thing that has come up is the serial number would indicate a H65E but the number on the frame says H65C, any thoughts? ....

  8. #8kshansen2014-02-18 07:53

    Well on a machine of that vintage just about anything could have been changed over the years. Also there could be a mistake in what ever chart you are using for reference. Unless you have a serious need for speed in third gear and it will do the job you need to use it for in the lower gears I personally would run it. Maybe check to see if there is a suction strainer which most would have and see if anything is in it. Also cut open the oil filter and see if there is any trash in it after a few hours use. If you can get information on where to check clutch and converter charging pressures that would give you some more ideas of which way to go. And check shift linkages to be sure shift valve is fully engaging into it's detente when in third gear. I've worked on many Houghs over the years but the smallest one would have been a H90, biggest H400, now that would move some dirt on the farm. 1710 cubic inch V12 Cummins power!

  9. #9Snuffy22014-02-19 07:08

    Thanks for the response. I will take your advice on checking the clutch and converter pressure. This unit seems big to me considering I have been running only a Bob Cat 853 till now. Bob Cats are nice machines but when trying to load a dump truck with a full bucket you can put her on her nose with just a minor speed change. I have about 4000 yard of dirt to move and was a little too much to ask of the 853. Thanks......

  10. #10Snuffy22014-03-01 13:29

    Good afternoon all. I am looking for a cab door for a H65C loader (left side)If any one knows where I can find one I would appreciate it.

  11. #11lenray2014-03-01 15:25

    Roy Meyers in Baldwin, Michigan--Probably has as many Houghs being parted out as anyone. Go north of town to Barskis Bar go east about a mile and he is just across from a big ole state prison. Fun just walking thru his place.

  12. #12Snuffy22014-03-02 07:52

    Thanks Lenray , I will wait until spring to go there . Its about 200 miles and the weather is just a little unpredictable just now. while I am at the keyboard : does any one have a suggestion on after market pin and bushing kits for bucket and arms. The unit is still quite serviceable but when I complete the task I am on now I thought I would rebuild the arms and bucket.

  13. #13Snuffy22014-03-07 07:49

    Good morning all, While doing some maint. work on the ole girl I cam across another issue. While changing the transmission oil I found there are two strainers (one on each side) that should be cleaned. the two strainers would indicate the transmission is S-700, I thought it is a P-601. Does anyone know the performance differences or reliability issues between these transmissions?

  14. #14grandkobelco2014-03-07 08:50

    Lenray, you made me laugh out LOL when you mentioned that salvage yard in baldwin. I must have made 50 trips into that prison when it was being built for every contactor from the dirt diggers to the roofers. I looked with greed/envy every time I passed it !

  15. #15JTWAT2014-03-11 00:29

    Snuffy2, I have a H65C with the same engine but mine has one strainer in the suction side of the trans.It has the P-601 transmission. The large line on the right side is the return from the oil cooler and does not have a screen.

  16. #16Snuffy22014-03-11 06:42

    Good morning "JTWAT" . Mine must be newer or older but for some reason this transmission has two strainers. Also I think there is a filler plug on the top of the P-601 whereas the S-700 does not. One other roadblock came when I tried to buy a new transmission filter (International # 927535 C91) I finally cross referenced it to a Baldwin (#PT-386), I found none anywhere around here , one is coming from Nebraska.

  17. #17kent_323is2014-03-12 02:57

    Can you post some pics of the beast? I like to see that older equipment. I almost bought a hough before i bought my michigan loaders.

  18. #18Snuffy22014-03-12 07:18

    I would be more than happy to post pictures ,as soon as I take some and learn how to post them. give me a couple of days...

  19. #19greenblood2015-02-13 18:43

    Hi guys I have an old H65C serial # 7137 Does anyone know trany filter number. Loader is slow to move seems like the torque converter is starving for oil. Trany oil with engine off is right full and when running hardly on dipstick or not at all. Could it be the cooler or filter?

  20. #20Snuffy22015-02-15 08:45

    Good morning "Greenblood", I also have a Hough H65C. If you look at post# 17 you will find the filter number that I used (BaldwinPT386) I hope this works for you. The other thing you mention is the transmission sluggishness, I also have the same problem. I find that it takes about three minutes of running before the unit will move. The problem my be the torque pre-charge pump. As far as far as the fluid level goes, I check mine with the engine warmed up and running-loader sitting flat and level. I changed the fluid and filters , cleaned the screens (both) and the transmission did work better but third gear still slips a lot. This loader is used to move dirt on the farm so I make allowances. My pins and bushings are loose so I am in the process of trying to locate a good parts source. I hope this helps.. Thank you.......Jim

  21. #21greenblood2015-02-16 13:35

    Thanks Jim will give it a try. Tough old girl its mostly used for cleaning up scrub piles and a bit of snow removal on the farm. Thanks Bruce

  22. #22Snuffy22015-03-05 08:30

    Good morning all, Can anyone out there give me any information on the color and type of paint that would be used on this Hough payloader ? I would also like to replace the decals. I have not been able to find a supplier as yet. any help would be appreciated. This has turned to a labor of love now as the contract fell through. Thank You.....Jim