Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough ha payloader

Johnny63 · 2018-06-06 10:10

hello, I’ve recently started fixing up this payloader ha. I believe it to be a third gen. Under the seat appears to be a reservoir of some type and the fill tube for the transmission. Can anyone tell me what type of gear oil/transmission fluid belongs in there and what the reservoir is. It appears to be a filter, I’ve never seen one like it, any help would be much appreciated, I’ve posted a pic John

Replies7
  1. #1repowerguy2018-06-06 11:55

    Looks like a bypass style engine oil filter not a reservoir.

  2. #2mowingman2018-06-06 12:23

    X2 for the oil filter. Some folks have used a roll of toilet paper for a filter element in an emergency.

  3. #3Johnny632018-06-06 14:27

    So, some type of paper filter belongs in there? Any suggestions as to gear oil? Or transmission fluid?

  4. #4kshansen2018-06-06 15:50

    Just one suggestion: http://www.agkits.com/hough-ha-pay-loader-operators-manual-htho-ohalate.aspx#.Wxg58p9KgdU Or start on this page down at the bottom the HA manuals start and continue over to the next page: http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/tractor-manuals/hough_tractor_manuals_pg2.html

  5. #5Dewert2018-07-05 19:41

    Just purchased a running and driving HA to restore and show, I have an original parts book. Wondering where to find parts, engine to hydraulic pump coupler, wheel/rim clamps etc. I'm brand new to this forum and would appreciate any information.

  6. #6Johnny632018-07-06 10:54

    I bought my HA about 3 months ago. Of course it was not running, had a blown head gasket and needed a major tune up. I found the head gasket on a site called the broken tractor, most of the tune up parts along with master cylinder I found at Napa. It's running great now, it needs a new alternator, so that will be my next thing. I'm currently sanding it down to put a fresh coat of paint, just to make it look nicer, back tires were good, but had to replace the fronts 7.50 x 16 LT's set me back 300 bucks.

  7. #7Rhinovangogh2018-09-12 23:00

    I have a 49 Hough HF and got all of my parts on eBay. Some through a vintage parts supplier in CA. If you look they are out there. Also, Houghs shared parts for various models so parts might be interchangeable. Good luck.