Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hourly rates for small dozer

Cowboy Billy ยท 2011-04-14 10:15

I have a JD 450G that I am using on my own property for myself. My neighbor had to move his driveway over a property line issue. The new driveway 600' has been cleared and roughed in with a excavator. And all I have to do is finish grade the sub base and spread the gravel when it comes in. The guy hauling the gravel has a dozer but its down and I was asked if I would take the work. The sand guy said he would pick up the dozer at my place and haul it the 3/4 mile to the site so I don't have to worry about traveling. But would not tell how much he charges for his dozer. The job is in Michigan's UP. But I have no idea how to figure equ costs and what I should charge a Hr. He is a friend so I want to be fair. But I don't want to screw myself or the next guy. He also may want me to put in some trails pushing out trees and working in the woods. If I am working where I am putting a lot more stress on my dozer should I charge more per Hr for that. Thanks Billy

Replies14
  1. #1jeff 312011-04-14 11:06

    Here in southern Ontario we're gettin 85 an hour for an older 450 H. That's with operator. Pushin out trees and working in the woods is going to be hard work on your machine so you may want to consder that to. Hopes this helps.

  2. #2Cowboy Billy2011-04-14 12:46

    Thanks Jeff That helps. And I am going to be operating it. Last year when I was looking around here someone had a list with the cost of wear and maintenance per hour. I tried doing a search but couldn't find it. Billy

  3. #3FurakawaMatt2011-04-14 13:46

    Since you do not run professionally and it is for a neighbor it can make a difference what you charge. The way I figure my time is made up of how much I want for my own wages per hour. Than the machine cost of operation (fuel and filter replacement, lube and etc.) Finally theres is the cost of machine replacement and major repair to consider for every hour you run it. There would be more to consider if you were running a business. Since I do not know how much money you have into your dozer or its condition I can only tell you what I charge when doing work for nearby neighbors with my older Komatsu D31P which is somewhat the same size as your 450. This year that is $60/hr though I may go higher if the work requires more wear and tear.

  4. #4Cowboy Billy2011-04-14 15:05

    Thanks Matt It has 9500 hrs on it. But had a new engine and UC just before I got it. I sure would like to put some money in the bank for when it needs repairs. I would also like to get a ripper to loosen up material before I try to push it. We have 120 acres I am using it on. Making trails, roads, fields and building pads. The property was all woods when we got in in 2006. And its been hard on that little dozer as the back half of the property is solid limestone. With rocks and boulders all over the place. Billy

  5. #5FurakawaMatt2011-04-14 16:02

    9500 hrs is a lot. That dozer has paid for itself several times over in operating hours. Sounds like you got your moneys worth out just working on your property since '06. Funny thing about property, it seems every parcel I have owned has been nothing but rocks and boulders everywhere :Banghead. It would be nice to have one of those places you can dig a water line with a shovel instead of needing major equipment or high explosives.

  6. #6Dickjr.2011-04-14 18:14

    I'm only getting 80$ per hour in central KY. Thats for a 39 Komatsu which is 2 sizes up form the 450. I'm not real busy either. Yeah I can run it , not saying I'm the only one who can , but I can accomplish almost any task. I push it pretty hard , running 2nd gear in reverse and forward when the load allows. If that 450 were mine I would have a hard time running it under 70 per hour if you work timely , if you take your time then 60 would be fine. At one time I got 90 on the 39 and people did not bat an eye. Times have changed , good luck and I hope you get all you can.

  7. #7jeff1122011-04-14 19:39

    spreading gravel is not too hard pushing,would be worth 60hr,making roads and pushing trees and rock that's a lot harder on the machine worth at least 80hr if you can get it for a small machine like that,if I were paying the bill I would get a large dozer in there for a higher rate and get some dirt,trees and rock moved.

  8. #8Cowboy Billy2011-04-14 19:53

    Matt I got the dozer used in 2007 and have only put about 300hrs on it. But it runs fine it will start in 10 deg F weather if the battery's are up and it doesn't have glow plugs. I do need to drop the blade and rebush and pin where it mounts to the carriage its getting sloppy. And if its even cool my hyd pressure light stays on for a long time so I think I need to drain the trans pull the suction line and clean the screen. Thanks DickJr I'm not the smartest guy but I have common sense. And am always looking 4-5 moves ahead so I don't make more work for myself and keep the rest of the job running smoothly. I have been running a D-5 or D-6 for the last six years building and finishing landfill cells. There's no grass growing under my tracks I can tell you. This job is not going to be hard Even though he will be hauling from 3/4 mile away it will only be one tri axle dump truck so there's no way he is going to keep up with me on this job and I will definitely will have a wait between trucks. I am going to push the sand guy a little harder for what he charges for dozer work. Its to his benefit too if I am not undercutting his price. Billy

  9. #9Cowboy Billy2011-04-14 20:01

    Thanks Jeff No doubt its hard on that dozer working in the woods its two lite and its a lot of strain on it. I wouldn't mind finding a D8k there were a lot of them last year going cheep that were used for logging but I just didn't have any money for one. Billy

  10. #10Drtdigger42011-04-14 20:16

    We charge 75 an hour for ours 300 minimum

  11. #11Dickjr.2011-04-14 22:40

    This is more than fair enough .

  12. #12Cowboy Billy2011-04-15 08:43

    Thanks DirtDigger4 Looks like I will try to get $70 a hr. And if get some trail clearing work add $30 /hr. Billy

  13. #13AT&SW2011-04-16 10:47

    $90/hr 3 hr min

  14. #14jmtrackworks2011-04-16 11:04

    I greatly prefer to price by the job and not by the hour. A stumping job is the only job I prefer to charge by the hour. On a stump job, usually one backhoe, cat 416c and a track loader, jd 455E, I get 75 per machine per hour. Everything else I try to price by the job. Seems to me the customer likes knowing up front what the complete job will cost him. Also for me, I don't feel like I have to run like a bat out of hell to make the customer feel like he is getting his moneys worth. Plus, the per hour rate once the job is complete seems to always work out in my favor. However, If the job is one your machine can do without to much fight, 90 per hr, 3 hr min sounds about right.