Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

House + TubGrinder + Hoe = ?????

powerjoke ยท 2009-10-21 21:51

probably been talked about before but, does anyone have any experience with this combo? what would be the ideal grinder? is one more durable than the other's? is one more acceptable to what i want to do and the biggest question is the cost. I am looking for a used machine and having a little trouble figuring out if one will even handle what i want it to. I dont want it to chew up concrete and steel of course, just regular house materials. I am doing it primarily for the dumpster cost, a hoe works good to pack them with but if i could start using dump trucks and end dumps and load them down to 20ton it sure would be nice. also the extra work would be nice too as there is no-one with a grinder within the 4 surrounding counties (that i know of). Any thoughts? Pj

Replies12
  1. #1heavylift2009-10-21 22:50

    Sounds like a good idea... the more material per trip..... more money in the pocket later on. Especially if it take half the trips to get the same amount of stuff to the dump.... I think it may need to chew steel or copper ( water line, sewer pipe, electical conduit) and brick or stone from fire places... if they are missed if you are trying to sort it Clearing trees from lots when you can't burn on site.... Free mulch that you could sell Storm clean up...... damaged trees.... more free mulch to sell. heck a city may let you haul it to a compost site for free... no dumping fees.... more money in the pocket

  2. #2amunderdog2009-10-21 23:31

    http://www.vecoplan.com/us/industry_solutions/construction_demolition.php

  3. #3John C.2009-10-21 23:57

    The ones I have the most experience with were Diamond Z. Almost all of them are Cat powered and gobble up fuel like a sewer drain. They all also require constant maintenance and repair. Bits and screens are extremely expensive so you want to be careful about what goes in. Plain dirt is the worst. I've seen lots of buildings go into them in big pieces and out the belt as slivers. They seem to be the wave of the present right now around here. Burning is not permitted anymore here so grinders have to be used. I am sure there are lots of used ones out there now. Good Luck!

  4. #4hvy 1ton2009-10-22 01:20

    The problem with tubginders is the amount of projectiles they produce. Also you would need one of the heavy duty mill sets to handle C&D. A horizontal grinder would probably be more suited to this application. I have no real experience with these, but the company trainwreck works for uses these to grind railroad ties. http://www.komptech.com/en/products/shredding/wood-pre-shredder/crambo-mobile/introduction.htm YouTube - Dual-shaft shredder for wood and green If i could put together a setup for this kind of grinding, i would have pto drive dual shaft shredder or horizontal grinder and a fastrac/mb trac/xerion type tractor with 350-425 pto hp and a grapple mounted behind the cab. Then run a pto chipper for chipping trees and the lighter stuff. This way grinding C&D a one machine operation. This system separates the excavators and grinding operations, allowing the excavators to move on to other stages of demolition. It also lends itself to subcontracting grinding for several companies. The high road speed of these tractors and lack of setup/takedown time would make it easy to roll in, grind, and roll out. A big plus for me would be the lack of the another large diesel to look after. Only downside is none of the exact equipment required would be off the shelf, but running a shredder with a dedicated motor would be.

  5. #5heavylift2009-10-22 02:34

    It may take awhile to recoup the investment. I watched the video ... well several.... the stumps being chewed up impressed me... They charge $50.00 a stump here..... 2' and bigger.... The free city tree dump doesn't want anything bigger than 6"...

  6. #6adam215842009-10-22 06:40

    the company I work for has many grinders and they are very high maintiance and not very forgiving of metal being in the material. I dont think water pipe would be a problem, but you don't know what else you might find. Even aftermarket teeth are 8$ ea.

  7. #7tonka2009-10-22 07:51

    I ran a Diamond Z for about 4-5 years doing demo and land clearing. Like the others have said hammer tips and screens dont like dirt at all! They also dont like big pieces of metal, or wire. We also had a Peterson(horizontal), and a Morebark with a crane atached to the unit itself.

  8. #8tdozer2009-10-22 09:04

    Shredders We have always used Diamond Z 1463 Tub Grinders. They work extremely well for C&D, but are very high maint. You also have to be very carefull what you throw in there. Wire,bricks,pipe even shingles reduce the life of the tips, hammers and screens. We want to go see a shredder like these http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/watch-en.htm in action. they look like it would save us alot of time and money.

  9. #9Wolf2009-10-22 19:42

    what are you going to use the grinder for? Land clearing with biomass, primarily, or is it going to be demo debris too?

  10. #10powerjoke2009-10-22 20:38

    pirmarily for residential housing demolition, but i'm thinkin there may be a call for tree removal too It's looking like Diamond Z is common, but i would like to know what is the LEAST i can get by with, as this isnt my main business......its more like a 40k attachment for a trackhoe Pj

  11. #11tonka2009-10-23 10:44

    We have 2 SSI shredders at my transferstation now, they work great. There a little slow but we can run anything threw them, well we dont put mattresses and big metal pieces threw them.

  12. #12tkoden2015-04-01 18:16

    Bringing this thread back from the dead. I am looking into something similar for house demo. I have a remote location where I need to take down a few houses with garages, barns, etc. It would be much easier if I could shred everything and then haul it to cut down on transport costs.