Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How about some old pipeline pics…

handtpipeline ยท 2010-02-21 00:28

Here's some old pipeline pics some may enjoy.

Replies17
  1. #1handtpipeline2010-02-21 00:32

    some more

  2. #2handtpipeline2010-02-21 00:35

    bored yet?

  3. #3handtpipeline2010-02-21 00:39

    still more

  4. #4handtpipeline2010-02-21 00:43

    and more

  5. #5EGS2010-02-21 11:07

    NO! I like the old pipeline pics. That little trencher looks like a handy machine.

  6. #6trainwreck2010-02-21 11:55

    i will never get bored seeing sideboom pictures!

  7. #7handtpipeline2010-02-21 15:53

    That trencher is a 110 Cleveland. I've got 2 of them, dad bought one at an auction when he started the company in '72, and the other a year or so later at an auction. I don't know how old they are, but was always told they were from the mid to late 1940's models. One had a Hercules gas engine, and the other had a Red Seal gas engine. Around 1980, we bought 2 new Deutz engines, and re-powered them. The Yellow trencher is a 1978 model 247 Cleveland that we bought new. We've had many days where we put in a mile of pipe with that machine in a days time. I still use it on some water and electric ditch when we get a chance. It's hard to find a good stretch anymore where you don't have a bunch of lines to cross though.

  8. #8928G Boy2010-02-24 22:16

    Awesome pics! Is that a really small auger boring machine in pic 5?

  9. #9dayexco2010-02-24 22:38

    some very nice pictures you have there

  10. #10handtpipeline2010-02-25 00:27

    Yes, it's a Kamo (I think it was a division of Koehring at one time). I think it's a 24" machine, with a 4 cylinder Wisconsin on it. That was an 8" bore, solid limestone. That pic was from about 1980. In 1983 or so we bought a new McLaughlin MCL 36 machine, that is in the later pictures. I still have both of them. In 1999, I bought a water level setup, and steering head to do sewer bores on grade with the McLaughlin. The longest I've done so far with it was a 200', 20" bore in somewhat sandy material. We came out dead center on line, and within .10 on grade. We had .50 to play with either way, so I was pretty proud for the first attempt.

  11. #11handtpipeline2010-02-25 00:31

    By the way, That's my dad running the boring machine in pic #5. He passed away in 1992, and I miss him a lot. The first Cat sideboom pic in post 3, that's me operating it, wearing the yellow hardhat. I was the old age of 16 then...

  12. #12handtpipeline2010-02-25 00:33

    Thank you. I have lots more, I need to get them scanned. these old pics bring back a LOT of great memories.

  13. #13EGS2010-02-25 15:25

    Do you have any sidebooms today or did you sell them all?

  14. #14K5Cruz2010-03-04 02:41

    Interesting pictures. Sperry is around Owasso/Tulsa isnt it?

  15. #15N.B.CONCRETE2010-03-04 10:51

    Very cool , things havent changed alot , pickups got fancier .

  16. #16handtpipeline2010-03-05 00:25

    I still have 3 D-7's, and an old International TD-18, A 580 Case, 2 Oliver and a John Deere rubber tired. The Olivers would probably be hard to get parts for, but the sideboom attachments would be relatively easy to adapt to a more modern tractor. I also have a complete sideboom attachment for a 450 John Deere.

  17. #17handtpipeline2010-03-05 00:28

    Yes, Sperry is about 10 miles strait West of Owasso, 4 miles North of Tulsa city limits. My shop/equipment yard is in Turley, about a mile North of Tulsa city limits.