Looking at purchasing a new to me mid size excavator. It's a newer machine, tier 4 final compliant. I'm not a big fan of gadgets and too many sensors, electronics etc., but it is time to upgrade. The emission control system is one of my concerns. Is this something to be concerned about/will involve trips to the dealer? The machine is a JD 60G in case that makes a difference. Would also appreciate feedback on this machine if someone is running one. Thanks. (a good friend of mine runs a newer track skid steer that's gone to the dealer a bunch of times because of emission control stuff not working properly shutting the machine down...)
Question #1 with anything that new has to be, why are they selling it? Is it because the emissions system is putting them in the poor house?
It is something to research I don't own anything with tier 4 on it. But it seems that is the #1 reason of most beak downs/problems now
Sorry, I don't have any direct experience with mid sized tier 4. My impression is that the bugs have been mostly worked out on the big stuff, like over the road trucks and similar sized construction engines. It's still a pain, but it's not as bad as it was 5-10 years ago. Small and midsized engines still seem to be problems as far as I can tell. Thoughts?
I have a 2016 new holland diesel tractor 37 horse , it has the stupid burnoff time for the cat to clean itself, where the savings of emissions is a mystery..once it goes into burnoff cycle you must let it run for about 45 minutes and it smokes pretty good during this time, so it burns clean for about 4 to 5 hours and then it cycles, so if you are done using the tractor it has to run, you can use it during burnoff time, and for 45 minutes it burns all the junk it collected..so I ask how much are you saving in emissions, just another scam from dole....the dealer stated if you cancel the burnoff more than 2 or 3 times it will shut down till the dealer hooks up a computer to overide and start the burnoff again..what a PITA...so far its been running and doing the burnoffs without any issues...all my other equipment is pre emissions crap...im glad for that...
We've had a few bugs with our new Tier 4 final stuff. Nothing too crazy. Most common problem seems to be DEF pumps. Had a couple brand new units come off the truck with failed pumps.
did they get rid of the def fluid in heavy equipment yet, the new diesel trucks over the road has new technology that eliminates that junk...
That's the first I've heard of that. I was under the impression they were continuing down the DEF road. So far every piece of new Cat equipment we have above the HP theshold where DEF is needed, has it.
With the incremental progression of environmental regulations and planned in obsolescence, it comes to a point where an upgrade isn't really an upgrade. It just makes the dealer and manufacturer more money and the bankers make more interest on money they issue out of thin air. Worse yet, you trade off your older, serviceable equipment and no longer have the option of trying to stretch it's lifespan.
nope, my friend bought a 2017 ford diesel..no DEF fluid needed anymore..
Really? I was just reading up on the 2017's and it said Ford bumped up the DEF tank capacity from 5 gal. to 7.4 gals.
thats what he said, ill text him to make sure, the last diesel truck I had was a 2003 duramax then went to gassers.. ok he answered, his truck still uses it, but they are looking to get ride of it with newer technology...since my 2016 tractor didnt use it , I thought I heard him say neither did his truck..my bad..sorry for the glimmer of hope..
Last I heard there was no way to meet current and possible up coming regulations without DEF. I wouldn't plan on it disappearing in the next five to ten years at least. I have a friend selling cap covers for the DEF tanks and he thinks he will sell more of them for a long time.
Personally I think we should part ways with EGR. That's the engine killer right there. I heard a rumour that in Australia their current emission standards allow them to run without EGR, just DPF and SCR.
I am under the impression that the super-duper injectors that are required to make it burn a certain way are a major source of problems maybe because their lifespan isn't that great and when they start to go they take other things with them....
Reason they're selling it is it's from a rental yard. Machine has only 400 hours in 3 years of use. They're also selling a 3.5 ton and a 5 ton and an 8 ton. Turning their inventory over.
The machine has full warranty till late 2019, so I have couple of years to see how it goes if I decide to purchase it.
Amen. Yes, agree 100%. Everything made with an engine these days is made so it has to go the the dealer. I get the game..... All of my other stuff is 2006 to 2012 just for that reason. Having a hell of a time finding what I need in the weight class I need during that era.
The 60G runs a yanmar engine, which I've been very happy with in other equipment. Part of the reason why I'm considering this machine. Kinda hope if anyone has it figured out it's yanmar... Sure wish I could find a low houred 60D. I'd be on it like a fat kid on a smarty.