Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How big to go

murfdog ยท 2013-04-07 19:15

I'm looking for input as to how big a hoe to purchase for all-round site work and foundation excavation? I realize there are alot of variables, just looking for a general concensus. Say Deere 135 or Deere 225 for example. Injuries are forcing me out of the concrete business, so I'm just looking to stay somewhat in the field, digging for the crew. Thanks for any input

Replies14
  1. #1AlloaExcavating2013-04-07 21:17

    I would recomend a 20 tonne or so zero swing machine.

  2. #2ric552013-04-07 21:37

    I also vote for 20 ton. I would not want anything smaller for trees and stumps or anything much larger to haul around.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2013-04-07 21:52

    I also say 20 ton or at least a 160.

  4. #4Canuck Digger2013-04-07 22:28

    130 size minimum, with a 160 being more ideal..........

  5. #5YEC19982013-04-07 23:29

    I have a Deere 160LC and use it for everything, easy to move, and big enough to load trucks and lay pipe. A very versatile machine for my operation.

  6. #6TrentNz2013-04-08 14:08

    20 ton zero swing or a normal 160

  7. #7murfdog2013-04-08 17:04

    Thank You for the input, I really appreciate it!

  8. #8Colorado Digger2013-04-08 17:12

    I have all 210's and they are a great size machine. However, for smaller jobs and the ease of mobilization I tend to like the 160 size as well. I used to have a 135 zero tail and it was so easy to move but maybe a little small. I would love to have a 160 and a 135 to add to my fleet but times are tough so we are sticking to what is paid for. The Kobelco 150ED is also a handy machine. Good Luck, CD

  9. #9dozer122162013-04-16 01:32

    I once had a salesman say he had never had a complaint for selling too big. Plenty from those trying to "CHEAP OUT" With smaller excavatorsllll

  10. #10CM19952013-04-16 07:13

    What do you have to move it with? A 315/160 size is a good size machine for general excavation work. Easy to move and enough power for most jobs.

  11. #11eric122013-04-16 13:14

    id consider a 200 sized machine if you have someone else moving it or are capable of moving it. if you only have a single axle truck and tag along trailer then maybe a 160 sized machine or whatever size your capable of moving. i would stay away from zero tail swings unless you have a real need for one, such as working in tight areas all the time. zero tail swings are a nice idea except they weigh a considerable amount more for the lifting capability and they are harder to work on since everything is tucked into a tighter area. if your working in open areas and someone else is moving it for you and you dont have any attachments already that you would have to match up then go as big as the person moving it for you is capable of moving without taking it apart. of course it would also be as big as your willing to pay for, you might be able to get an odd sized machine between a 200 and 300 that is in good shape and being sold cheaper than a 200 because its less common. it all comes down to how its going to get moved and what your needs really are and not just what you think you want because it looks cool or you like the idea of a zero tail swing.

  12. #122005kes20052013-04-16 22:30

    I've had o ver 15 200-300 size machines- With fuel and moves and issue today our 160 does move of the work. A Q/C 2 buckets and a thumb are a must. If you can't dig around it and pull if with a 160 then a 300 or a blaster is all you need. Residential work is pretty easy ona machine and a 160 deer hitachi has great reach- stable- yet small enough to move around. You might be surprised how much work you get out of a 75- tough to bale out big basement but with a blade great tool- for the most versatile look at a KobelcoBlade Runner- Simply amazing- best tool I've seen in years

  13. #13stumpjumper832013-04-16 22:59

    If you have the money, I'd be getting a 160 w/ blade, HYD thumb, and quick coupler. If money is tight there drop back to a 135. Keep it a standard load whatever you get.

  14. #14roadbuilder62013-04-17 14:04

    Depending on what you want to do and what areas you will be in, its definitely worth looking into a 20 ton or around there size zero tail swing, with an hydraulic thumb and q/c. Trust me you will not regret it if you get the thumb zero tail swing and quick coupler. The new,link belt 235x3s look nice, but its what ever dealer is close to you and your opinion of a good brand. If you are looking for something used you can't go wrong with a cat 320clu or a deere/hitachi 225, like this one i found on craigslist which i wouldn't mind having lol, its in Calgary, but its a nice machine, and a good example of something I would recommend: http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/bfd/3747022309.html