Just like the title says fellas.... Just trying to get more of a feeling for the L10 guys.... In our truck we have nothing but L10's in them.... Our ford has a 285 hp, our international has a 250hp and my kenworth has a 310hp...... I've been reading up about aftercoolers and performance gains..... Anyone know how I can tell if these engines have them? Thank you
If you're talking about an intake manifold aftercooler, as opposed to a radiator type intercooler, the intake aftercooler is a large housing attached to or part of the intake manifold. That housing will have two coolant hoses connected to it, typically heater hose size hose, 5/8" or 3/4". An aftercooler would give you an increase in HP, but only if you tweaked the fuel system up a bit to take advantage of the cooled air provided by aftercooler.
so basicly what you're saying Willie is it's a cold air inake?
Would be more correct to say "cooler" air intake Soodude. Air comes through air cleaner at ambient temperature. When it goes through turbo, turbo heats the air because exhaust heat on the exhaust side of turbo transfers through turbo shaft and housing to the intake side of turbo. This causes a charge of "hot air" going to intake. The basic principle or thermodynamics in engines and how much power a given displacement can produce is determined by charge of air into the combustion chamber as you can only add a quantity of fuel to a combustion chamber that is proportional to the amount of air in that chamber, air/fuel ratio. In simple language that means you can only add enough fuel to a cylinder for the amount of air in the cylinder to burn the fuel in an efficient burn, not rich or lean. Working with a given displacement of a cylinder, and an engine being naturally aspirated (no turbo), as the piston goes down on intake stroke, it can only draw in a specific volume of air. Fuel added to chamber has to be proportional to that charge, result is X amount of horsepower. If we want to increase HP, add a turbo charger. Now we can cram more air into chamber. Greater volume of air means we can add more fuel, result is X+ horsepower for same piston. To squeeze even a bit more HP, it's simple physics, cold air is more dense than hot air. Turbo "heats up" the charge of air going to combustion chamber. Hot, less dense air. At this point we can route the air through a radiator type intercooler in front of the radiator, or run the air through and engine coolant heat exchanger (aftercooler) and "cool down" the charge of air coming from turbo, thus increasing the "density" of the air going to combustion chamber. Now that we have even more volume and density of air in chamber, we can add even more fuel, result is X++ horsepower. With all this said, you can add an intercooler or aftercooler to your turbo engine, but to achieve more HP you would have to get an injection technician to tweak the injection system to match the greater charge of air you have now added to combustion chambers.
so where abouts do I find the cooler for an L10 and to turn up the fuel I get to do the little fuel trick on the pump where you remove the cover and turn the set screw out a couple of turns and drill out the little lead ball on the inside of the splined shaft and turn it up also? These are all mechanical motors fyi.....
I wouldn't know those things myself, never worked on an L10, I would have to depend on an injection shop to make any changes to the injection system.
I was reading up on how to turn up the fuel pumps but as for finding the aftercooler, I'm stumped LOL.... Well we'll just say if this motor goes boom I have a nice N14 M sitting in the corner of the shop ready LOL!!! I want to see what I can get out of an L10 and have it still reliable because it seems to be a real smooth running motor
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/414317760/aftercooler_cummins_NT855_C_S10_4914494.html The after cooler is a big rectangular box that has both air and water inlet, basically internally there is another radiator through which the air flows and cools down a bit.
Normally, trucks only had air to air coolers mounted in front of the rad, the water jack after coolers were used in stationary and industrial applications
I think I might take a ride to the scrap yard and see what they have out there
Looked at my Motor today finally and it has an aftercooler.... looks like air to water.... the chamber on the side of the engine where the turbo runs into has coolant lines... So I guess I should ask now what else can I do to this motor to get the hp up a little without making it unreliable? I have already turned the fuel pump up and have noticed a big difference but I would like to see how much more I can get out of it.... the cheaper the better LOL!!! thanks fellas