Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How different are pavers/milling than dirt equipment how do you learn it

Greasyfitting · 2025-01-24 19:16

Happy new years , Ive worked on dirt equipment I worked as a paving equipment mechanic before but nothing really ever broke how do you even learn to work on it I'm interested in hearing knowledge and experience on the topic.

Replies8
  1. #1JaredV2025-01-24 20:00

    Nothing broke? Whatever make and models of equipment that was, there are a lot of people here that would love to know what they were! I'd say find an outfit that runs older equipment.

  2. #2Greasyfitting2025-01-24 20:12

    The paving spreads they had in my area it was mostly new , and slightly used by them caterpillar equipment we had some roadtec pavers but they would run 12-14 hr days no issues I checked fluids and greased them daily

  3. #3Greasyfitting2025-01-24 20:14

    Most of my days were cutting edges , switches , fittings , o rings , adding fluids , light bulbs , maybe a hose

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-01-25 02:39

    You should get in contact with Vetech63. He would die to have someone with actual paving equipment experience to work with. Heck, I think he'd be thrilled just to have someone that knows how to properly grease equipment.

  5. #5SamuelJack2025-02-03 09:14

    Thank you so much for the suggestion.

  6. #6cuttin edge2025-02-05 21:13
  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-02-06 08:09

    HhhaaahhhaaaaHhaaa, LLO LOL LOL, That’s why around here they have their little umbrellas. The spreader operators are so hot, they are trying to keep us normal people from being blinded. lol Thanks, now the wife is asking why I’m cleaning coffee, from all over the monitor.

  8. #8cuttin edge2025-02-06 11:19

    It was posted on FB by our paving foreman. He is a screed operator, and his brother runs the spreader.