I'm looking at a parts machine, an old Deere 690A with the main engine running and tracks freewheeling. Drive motors/pump bad. With the bucket off of the ground would a Case 450B crawler loader be able to move it and would it be able to load it on a trailer? I can't justify the cost of hiring a heavy wrecker in addition to the haul cost to move this for parts. Thanks
Are you moving it or having someone else do it ? Do the hydraulics work?
I am having it hauled but I have the 450B I could use if it would work instead of hiring a wrecker or paying for another excavator hauled in to load it. He said the hydraulics worked before but now don't, it has just been sitting so not sure if fluid leaked down or what happened. Haven't gone to look at it yet, trying to find cheapest way to get it loaded...
I would ask who ever you are getting to move it his opinion.
cool, I'm going to go look at it so when I talk to hauler I have more facts...
If the hydraulics quit working, are you sure the tracks still freewheel?
I'll be checking that out also. The other reason for this question is that I have a 690B in a pasture 200 yards from a gravel road, the hydraulics work and the tracks have the sprockets and chains off so they freewheel. I would like to get it to the road myself but just using the bucket is slow and tears up the pasture, was hoping my 450B could move it.
Bronco, I have a 690A that I was partly through a refurbishment when I had to move. We moved it tapping the hydraulics of an old Case skid steer. My second option was to split the chain then it would freewheel. If memory serves me the radial piston drive motors have a hydraulic brake on them like the swing motor. I'm probably going to part mine out due to shift in my plans.
That is a thought, I have aux hydraulic quick connects on the back of the 450B that I could use. Also, if you part yours out I might be better of getting parts from you!
If it freewheels, I certainly think a Case 450b would push it, but I've never sat on a 450 case. A D21 Kommie would, for sure. To get it on a trailer, you might have to use a block and tackle, depending on the trailer?
I surely think on reasonably level ground in low gear the 450 would move it..if that pasture is sloped or hilly you might have some issues but slow going I think you'd do it..don't forget blocks to prevent a runaway if the drives are disconnected.. -remember that old Cat training film with the guy towing a 235 excavator with a D3? -Shake Hands or was it Drums Roll