Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I check oil in LX865 chain case & where is the dipstick?

DPForumDog ยท 2018-05-11 22:44

How do I check oil in LX865 chain case & where is the dipstick? I have what I think is a 1998 New Holland LX865 skid steer. I can not find find the dipstick. How do I change the oil in the chaincase? How would I add oil? Also I have seen conflicting information on what type of oil to use for the chain case. Thanks for all help. DPForumDog Granny DP

Replies2
  1. #1Junkyard2018-05-11 23:44

    Most had a dipstick for each side down by your feet, hex head that unscrews. On the front of the machine, bottom of the case basically where the loader arms rest there is an allen plug to drain. Sometimes they get chewed up and are hard to remove. Most have a fill plug in between the tires or you can remove the square cover and dump the oil in a lot easier. If memory serves they used like 10w40 motor oil in the cases. I've seen just about every weight from that to gear oil used without any trouble. It's only been 20 years since I went to tech school on that series lol. I can double check my service manual when I'm at the shop tomorrow.

  2. #2MFIHCAT2018-05-28 22:44

    If I recall the early models had dipstick by your feet, those had gear oil in the final drive and 10W30 in the chain case. Later serial number the final drive and chain case were "common". But it was '94 or '95 when I went to that school.