Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I get this pin out?

bdog1234 · 2021-10-03 00:57

My tilt cylinder needs rebuilding. This pin won’t budge to get it out. What is the best way to remove it?

Replies25
  1. #1Cmark2021-10-03 02:02

    Firstly find out where it's seized. In the cylinder or in the clevis? If it's seized in the clevis then heat, BFH and chicken bar should get it moving. The pin head will mushroom almost instantly so be prepared to cut it off. It it's seized in the rod then be prepared to get more creative. Either way, budget for a new pin.

  2. #2.RC.2021-10-03 06:09

    A nice flat spot there to hold a mag base drill to drill the centre portion out.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2021-10-03 09:08

    If you can get the other side out pull it apart that way a little more akward but can be done

  4. #4boaterri2021-10-03 10:20

    Perhaps raising the blade. put a steel rod on a plate under the pin and lower the blade using the weight of the machine to push the pin out....

  5. #5bdog12342021-10-03 11:07

    That’s a brilliant idea I really like using machines to fix themselves unfortunately in this case there are other components in the way directly beneath the pin that would prevent doing this.

  6. #6bdog12342021-10-03 11:11

    I’m not sure. The machine is two hours from here in the middle of nowhere. I am planning on working on it today but need to take whatever I may need with me. My goal is to get the cylinder off and take it to a shop Monday for repair.

  7. #7bdog12342021-10-03 11:14

    I may have to resort to this. I have never rebuilt a cylinder though. I normally just take them in. The other side is out though.

  8. #8bdog12342021-10-03 11:23

    I have a mag drill but no bits as long as the pin nor as big as it.

  9. #9Delmer2021-10-03 14:48

    No easy way to get that out. Having it away from your shop is going to make it that much more frustrating. Conventional ways to get a stuck pin out: build a frame and press it out with hydraulic jacks. torch it out. oxygen lance through the middle of it. drill a hole through and then torch a bit more. any of the the heat methods will cause the pin to expand and upset, then shrink when it cools and come out easily, usually. Slightly less conventional, but effective: use a sawzall to cut the pin between the ears and the cylinder end both sides, pull the cylinder out and the three pieces will come out much easier.

  10. #10bdog12342021-10-03 23:27

    It wasn’t easy but the pin is out. I welded a bolt on top of it, cut a piece of pipe and slid it over the bolt, then used an old spring hanger from a trailer axle and some washers and tightened the bolt to pull the pin.

  11. #11bdog12342021-10-03 23:28

    And it’s out.

  12. #12Flat Thunder Channel2021-10-04 07:05

    Nicely done! I was tunnel visioned at the idea of drilling and tapping a hole in the top and then trying a slide hammer. This was a better/easier solution!

  13. #13Delmer2021-10-04 11:07

    That came out easy.

  14. #14balls2go2021-10-04 13:35

    Great idea!

  15. #15boaterri2021-10-04 16:59

    Well done sir!

  16. #16emmett5182021-10-04 17:42

    Your name must be Wyle E. Coyote. Sooper Genius. Excellent creativity, and ingenuity! Bravo!

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2021-10-04 23:30

    Well there ya go another successful adventure. Glad we could help.

  18. #18bdog12342021-10-04 23:55

    Thanks. And while no one specifically recommended what I did the replies I received got the gears turning in my head and enabled me to figure it out. The biggest challenge and while I didn’t just trial and error it was the remote location of the machine and needing to specifically plan and pack everything needed for the job before hand. I don’t have a dedicated service truck.

  19. #19stinky642021-10-05 01:02

    Necessity is the mother of invention and that fix was brilliant using what you had at your disposal to make it work...well done sir...

  20. #20LCA0782021-10-16 11:57

    I'm putting that trick in my memory bank. Great job!

  21. #21masterwelder2021-10-16 19:19

    Genius! Well done!

  22. #22Don Shilling2021-10-16 22:24

    Totally ingenious!

  23. #23LG 782021-10-18 03:02

    Bloody good effort

  24. #24jimpad2021-12-05 19:44

    Hard to beat the feeling you get when something like that starts moving and you know you got it licked

  25. #25James Sorochan2021-12-05 19:52

    Appreciate your effort, thanks.