Hey guys Today I blew one of my hydraulic hoses on my KX91-3, one that goes to the arm piston. I'm at a loss as to how you loosen off the nut at the control stack?? It looks like it is a 22mm nut but theres no way to get a spanner in there. I tried cutting a 7/8 box wrench to be like a brake line fitting wrench but its a bit sloppy and wont work. What tool do I need to get that loose? I would add pics but I cant get them off of my phone right now. Scott
are other hoses in the way? if so undo those and pull them out of the way. they also make flare nut crows foot wrenches like these http://store.snapon.com/CROWFOOT-1-2-DRIVE-C629586.aspx that work well if I'm understanding your problem. photos would help a lot though.
Think I get where you are coming from... If so, I've a selection of ring spanners with half cut out. An open end ring spanner if you will. It gives tight access and ability to slide onto a pipe or fitting the along, into the hex. I'll try to get a picture Good luck
Ok heres the pics Its the 3rd one down, I tried cutting my spanner but it just spreads under load and slips on the nut.?
Mark up the hoses, I like tip ex but anything will do, maybe use your pictures too. keep taking them off till you get access. Ensure you keep the hoses and block clean. If the hoses are fairly aged you should find they naturally want to sit where they belong, but that's a bonus, don't count on it. Good luck
Forgot to say, make sure there is no pressure in the lines and the arms are grounded!
One thing that works to mark lines is go to an auto parts store and get an assortment of colored zip ties different color on each hose. If needed use two different colors on some then take another picture. That way you have a map as to where they go. Just have to take off one at a time till you can get the one you really need to remove then reverse the order on reassembly. And YES do make sure all implements are on ground and pressure release before disconnecting anything. Take key out and put it in your pocket so no one can try starting it while you have it apart.
Ok I some hoses out of the way but I still cant get this one to budge:Banghead I'm thinking about trying to cut the steel line to get a wrench on it, using heat but I'm afraid of damaging any O rings Could it be in with lock tite? The steel tube has some movement (swivel) to it?
If the the one in the middle of that picture, I would take out the fitting to the left, put an open ended spanner on the hose end and shock it with a hammer. Assuming there is access. I personally don't like heat near valve blocks, but have done on rare occasions. It is unlikely to be loctite, fitting are self seal 90% of the time, just effing tight.
I agree, remove the fitting to the left. I'm assuming this hose is going to be scraped? If so as maybe a next to last resort take a chisel and holding it at the right angle hit it in the direction to turn the nut. I don't like the idea of cutting the line due to the possibility of getting chips in to the valve and causing problems later. But if it comes to that I think I would cut it up near the crimp to the hose and then you should be able to slip a box end (ring spanner) over the tubing section and remove it.
Yair . . . ottawamerc . As simonsrplant mentions and, if no joy see if you can fabricate/bend a drift to give the b*****d a meaningful clout on the flats with a four pound hammer . . . try and position the drift a little off centre on the flat so that it applies the shock in the left hand loosy direction . . . you may need an off-sider to hold the drift in position. In desperation, and using that technique I have even gone real butcherous and welded a cold chisel into a piece of heavy wall one inch pipe to get a recalcitrant fitting out of a valve bank on a dredge. Woops! kshansen beat me to it . . . and I can't edit it out this bloody bold font. Cheers.
I use the colored wire out of telephone cables ,,,,,, I seem to find stretches of it easily during the construction season.
Thanks guys for the replys. I will try the wrench and hammer technique on it atleast it will give me some joy to beat on the damn thing for a bit!!!
With the teeth on your bucket? LOL, that's my luck. As long as it's not orange or yellow poly pipe!
Another vote for taking out the adapter on the left to let you get a direct fit with a wrench onto the swivel nut of the hose end fitting on the right. That would be the accepted way of doing it.
Something i have done may times if the space allows for it is to use a good sharp punch or flat chisel for the air hammer and go straight town into the fitting until you have something to catch the point on then angle the hammer so it is hitting the right direction to spin it free. The vibration of the hammer does wonders. I have always owned ford trucks and have yet to buy the fan clutch wrench. i also use this technique if i dont have enough room for a wrench and can just slip a chisel into a tight area and hammer away until i can get it by hand
Lol, that's happened to me before, too... "and I can't edit it out this bloody bold font". That better? OCR
I was holding back on that suggestion till the last resort! To be honest just this Wednesday and again Thursday I had to resort to that technique on a Cat 350L drive motor! Two hoses were so rusted there was hardly any hex left on the fittings. This was after having to torch what was left of the heads of the bolts for the spit flanges for the main hoses to the motor. Sometimes you just have to get violent to show things who is boss.
Yair . . . OCR . Howja do that? This is a very user friendly site but sometimes I have glitches. Cheers.
ottawamerc[/ B] . Put a space here...[SUP] ↑ [/SUP] ... between the [ /B] and the period. Works sometimes, at least for me... Preview your post, and you can move the period back one space if every thing looks ok... usually. OCR PS: Grandpa taught me all that stuff... :lmao
Yup... works dang good. :thumbsup Lol, I usually get it from our telephone guy, though... OCR
To avoid damaging the flats if you are ever re-using a fitting, I generally reach for my Snap-On air hammer and the mushroom tip, looks like a button style mushroom, and of course slightly angle the point of contact towards the directiin of desired rotation. Amen. All the best. Once I was under a swivel on a manlift trying the same with a fitting wrench, angled, pulling for all I was worth, when it shot outta my greasy hand and chipped my upper front tooth! Okay dere's gotta be an easier way to do this!
Yair . . . gotcha OCR I thought I'd tried that correct space caper. (big grin) Cheers.
Thanks Joel I'm going to attempt this method today, sorry about the tooth man I know exactly what your saying about slipping wrenches. I was working on my wifes van once (brakes) and the wrench slipped and I smashed my knuckles then some how my 2lb hammer laid a major beating on the side of the van:beatsme. Funny thing is weeks later she told me she must have just been hit in a parking lot!! . A month later we got a new van. Scott:beerchug
How do I remove this hose???? ( DONE!!) Hey guys you are indeed wizards:notworthy. I tried the hammer and chisel and after 4 wacks it was loose and I could remove it by hand! Thanks so much for your help with this I really appreciate the advice. Scott:beerchug
Glad you had some luck. Sometimes you just need to get it's attention so it knows what you want it to do. Now all you have to do is fish the new one in. I hope it doesn't have an angle on the other end too! I just fought a hose off a JCB then fished the new one in place to find out the factory installed the fitting on one end of the hose about 180º out from where it needs to be:Banghead Just glad the machine is down for some linebore work so waiting on a second and hopefully correct hose is no big deal.
Congrats Glad to hear you got it off, in case you weren't planning on it you may want to replace the o-rings on all of the fittings you removed as they are pretty cheap(even from the hose shops) once they have been installed for a long time then can leak when reusing them.
just take the other fitting to left of the one you want to take out,then use a pipe wrench to remove the bad one Good Luck
Yair . . . ottawamerc . Good one mate! it is always nice when folks respond to advise even if it doesn't work . . . I some times think certain posts must be invisible. In other words it can be a waste of time thinking about a problem and suggesting a possible solution if the poster posing the original question does not reply or acknowledge. Cheers.
I have a set of Proto line wrenches back from mining days and I've had good luck getting them on tight and then giving them a good whack with a 3 pound hammer. Sometimes I have to whack it in both directions (the line wrench!) to get it to break loose. Good luck to ya and I hope you don't end up with as many scars on your knuckles as I have. They are only a sign that I've had to learn the hard way a LOT of times. The last time I used that method with my line wrenches was when I was laying under a Cat 955 that had blown a hose when I was pushing dirt against what was to be an island at the bottom of a pond I was digging. I had to drop the bottom skid pan and all to get to the darn thing while the Cat was sitting against the steep incline of the island with a full bucket and stuck in the mud with around 6" of water to boot. I was making up new words to yell by the time I got that one fixed. Oops, I see you already have the job done. Glad to read the whacking shock value worked for ya!