Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I start my Cat 215C excavator?

Dwight Yachuk ยท 2018-01-03 21:44

Hello folks, I'm new to owning an excavator and I thought I would start with the stupid questions and work my way up. I just bought an old cat 215C. It was at the dealers and I hired a float to bring it home. The dealer left the cat running on the float and the driver walked it off and parked it. He shut if off, I said thanks and asked him how to start it. he didn't know. Obviously I need manuals, friends who know heavy equipment, etc, but it is almost 10 PM at night so I thought I would try a forum to see if I could get an answer here. `We stopped the cat by powering down and basically stalling the engine. I turned the key to start it (there are two by the way) but nothing happened. Any hints??? I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask unless someone/anyone knows how to do this. I should have another dumb question tomorrow Dwight

Replies13
  1. #1John Shipp2018-01-03 22:42

    Batteries ok/present and connected? You need the handbooks, so call up the dealer. Hopefully they'll tell you if anything's have been disconnected /removed and how they were starting /stopping it if it's been tied together with string or anything funky. Best of luck, have fun.

  2. #2GregsHD2018-01-03 23:35

    There should be a momentary toggle switch beside the seat on LH side to engage the starter, I believe you push the throttle down past idle to shut down, most 3304 are like this but not positive on a C series??

  3. #3GregsHD2018-01-03 23:39

    That is if it has a 3304?

  4. #4mitch5042018-01-04 02:28

    Does the serial number start with 4HG? I have had a 4HG 215C for about 15 years. The throttle is beside the seat on the right. To stop the engine, you shove the throttle all the way forward past a detent stop. To start it has to be pulled back past this. There is a key switch by your right foot. It is the battery master switch. It turns one click clockwise for on, and should never be shut off while the engine is running. Get in the habit of turning it off after you stop the engine every time and you'll have less dead batteries. There is a key switch under your left hand. It turns clockwise from off-run-start. It is a safety switch and can't be turned from run to start a second time without going to off. Don't turn this one off with the engine running either. There is a momentary toggle (labeled with a check mark) just behind the key switch. This switch is a test switch for the warning lights by your left foot, but I have seen it field rewired to "start" when a the key switch went bad. To start: set throttle, turn master switch clockwise one click, turn key switch from "off" through "run" to "start." These are great, nearly bulletproof, old girls. Don't swing into anything, as the swing gear is probably the most fragile thing on here, and very expensive. Good luck, Mitch

  5. #5Dwight Yachuk2018-01-04 08:26

    Thanks guys and thanks Mitch for the extensive answer. We took the battery master switch out and put it back in but we didn't turn it one click to the right. I am sure that is the simple answer. Yes the serial number starts with 4HG. Reg helped me find it. He is 72 (I am 62) and he used to service heavy equipment. He was quite embarrassed that he couldn't remember how to start it! I have 220 acres of mostly bush in Quebec with a number of trails and a deficit of flat land so I have lots to do including ditching along the roads. I also have a swap I want to dig out and make into a pond, hopefully without getting the old girl stuck! Should be lots of fun now that I am retired. While I have you here, I googled the manuals and got a zillion sites. I can go to the dealer but I was wondering if there was any recommendations on where to buy them online at a fair price?

  6. #6Hobbytime2018-01-04 08:58

    just a question..you buy a excavator from a dealer, did you run it at all? when at the dealer didnt you ask them how to start or run it? did you even test it out before buying to make sure it runs as it should? heres a manual on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...538118?hash=item2131a0bb86:g:3ncAAOSwPDBZ~wck

  7. #7John Shipp2018-01-04 09:26

    Dwight, sounds like you have a great place to use an excavator for sure. Round my parts, when a dealer sends a machine out on a low bed and doesn't shut it down it's because it won't start again to get it unloaded. It may just be that the batteries are a little tired. The other thing is that dealers are supposed to include instructions on machines these days, at least where I am. Perhaps different in Quebec, but I would be calling them first, if they're the friendly type I'm sure they'll send you something. Have fun and be safe.

  8. #8kshansen2018-01-04 09:37

    Attached is a bit of the operators manual to get you "started" .

  9. #9Dwight Yachuk2018-01-04 11:18

    Hey thanks kshansen! Actually I bought the cat from a private seller who had it at the dealers as he had just had the main pump changed. I bought it midDecember but we had that extreme cold snap (-30C) so I didn't get it floated out until yesterday. It wouldn't start of course so the dealer got it running and left it running on the float as I was just a 1/2 hour away. The dealer did a good job, but it wasn't his machine and the seller didn't have any manuals for it. But thanks to the members on this forum I now have some reading to do. Many thanks Dwight

  10. #10Buckethead2018-01-04 12:13

    The latest models of the 200 series started with a key. The 235 I ran started with a toggle switch. IIRC it was a straight 235 not a B or C.

  11. #11mitch5042018-01-04 13:07

    Yeah, the letterless 225 I learned on started that way, but the C is what I was describing. If he hasn't run a hoe before, the tiller steering might not even hurt his brain.

  12. #12GregsHD2018-01-04 13:21

    I must have been thinking of a straight 225 as well with the toggle switch start.

  13. #13mitch5042018-01-04 13:40

    That manual on Ebay looks good, I ordered mine from CAT a long time ago, and the operation and maintenance manual, (what you need) was in the service manual, but I would ask the seller to make sure this one is that way. All 215C manuals include the 219, since it is mostly an upgraded 215C