Machine is a 2010 Caterpillar 279C with hi-flow. I rented a 72" low-flow brush cutter that I need to return July 5th in the morning. Works great when I keep my thumb on the right joy stick wheel, but that gets very tiresome because I can't figure out how to get continuous flow to activate???? Picture of my joysticks and switches if someone can help me out before returning brush cutter. I've searched but to no avail.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1333652/Caterpillar-279c.html?page=75 or video not as clear but pushing lower left switch on left joystick while activating hydraulics
I've watched that video numerous times and tried it, but didn't work. I'm thinking one of the switches overhead needs to be turned on.
Ok after reading pages 75 through about 79, I will try the buttons on the right joystick instead of the thumb wheel tomorrow.
I believe you have to roll the thumb wheel and then push the button on the left joy stick. Because you have the option of which way your attachment rotates.
I've done that, and yes you are correct about option of blade rotation. I know it's something stupid that I am doing! I will be trying it again in about 1/2 an hour
I got it!! Basically 4 part step quickly. 1) Roll thumb wheel on right joystick (forward or backward depending on if you want your attachment to run clockwise or counterclockwise ) and hold it. 2) Push lower outside left button on left joystick, and hold it. 3) Release wheel on right joystick. 4) Release button on left joystick. Do all 4 steps quickly and there you have it. I was taking way to long between each step before. Thanks guys for your help!
^^^^ That is how it works on my 287b Glad you got it!
There are about six different patterns that are used on almost every machine. Why so many is because the Manufacturers have their head up their ass and can't use a common pattern. Somewhere I have a print out of all the patterns used. I will have to see if I can find it and post it here. I just fix'em and most of the time can't remember what has to be done.
Doesn't matter what pattern you choose. When ever it gets to a customer it is alway wrong. I used to install a lot of attachments on excavators. One guy wants a pistol grip, the next was a top mounted rocker switch and another wants a Sure Grip button top handle. This guy wants the trigger to open the thumb and the next operator wants it to close the thumb. Another operator gets in and wants the controls on the left hand. You get it put together the way that the most people feel comfortable with it and some safety idiot shows up and shuts down the machine for some off the wall BS. Real operators learned to make the machine work no matter the controls. Really, it isn't a designer problem.
i found this site on the net. could you possible maybe answer a few questions i have with my 287b xps. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
I am willing to try!
If it's a technical question then the first information that you need to post is your machine Serial Number. Closely followed by whether or not you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it. It ought to live in the pocket behind the seat but may have gone AWOL before you got the machine. Everything regarding operation & basic maintenance tasks is covered in that manual.
it is a tech question, my # is bjzsa02062. ive tried getting contentious flow to work, read manual, watched videos. seems there's different ways. ran across this site where member ianjoub wrote he and a 287 and responded to memebr 277 how he does his(see below) to someone else. the book didn't match what he said he did. going to try today that way. also having trouble greeting in float mode. any help would be appreciated. Basically 4 part step quickly. 1) Roll thumb wheel on right joystick (forward or backward depending on if you want your attachment to run clockwise or counterclockwise ) and hold it. 2) Push lower outside left button on left joystick, and hold it. 3) Release wheel on right joystick. 4) Release button on left joystick. Do all 4 steps quickly and there you have it.
so is yours a xps like mine. having trouble getting in float mode. going to try the contentious flow set up you committed on how your works, also i read what the toggles are for but not quite understand.
I no longer have it. It was an XPS. I never tried float, so I am no help there.
so just tried what you said works for yours. didn't work. soon as you let off the roller the blades on the brush cutter stop. ive watched different videos and there all different. cat is 1 1/2 hours away and charge 600 to come here. also i read the book about the toggles and what there for. but still am a little confused what are these toggles for. ive tried to find someone that i could pay to come show me how to use the buttons on the joysticks and the float on the bucket, with no luck. most people have bobcats close to me.
Try all of the buttons on that left joystick one at a time.
so its not the one below the horn
It has been a couple of years now. If I was sitting in the machine I would do it without thinking but I can't be sure sitting here at the computer.
@steve hodge - I take it that you don't have an O&M Manual then.? Best investment you could ever make. It can be downloaded from Cat Publications for $49, purchased as a CD for the same price, or in paper form for $57. Press and hold either one of the two auxiliary hydraulic switches on the right side joystick. Press and release the continuous flow switch on the left hand joystick. Immediately release the auxiliary hydraulic switch after you release the continuous flow switch. The continuous flow function will be activated if the auxiliary hydraulic switch is released within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch. Press on either the auxiliary hydraulic control or the continuous flow switch in order to stop the flow to the auxiliary circuit.
i do have the manual, mine says this. also mines a xps high flow different joysticks. the bottom left on the left stick with the line is what i should push after moving the roller on the right with the line. for some reason mine doing something wrong or its not working. also tried this that someone else with a 287b said work on theirs. if i cant figure it out ill have to pay cat 600 to come out i guess. also not sure what the toggles do in the pic other than what i read in the book. what does the far left toggle do from my manual Continuous Flow – The continuous flow control supplies continuous flow of hydraulic fluid to the auxiliary hydraulic circuit without continuously holding the auxiliary hydraulic control. Press one of the two auxiliary hydraulic switches that are located on the right side joystick. Press the continuous flow switch on the left hand joystick and release the continuous flow switch. Immediately release the auxiliary hydraulic switch after you release the continuous flow switch. The continuous flow function will be activated if the operator releases the auxiliary hydraulic switch within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch. Press on either the auxiliary hydraulic control or the continuous flow switch in order to stop the flow to the auxiliary circuit. Basically 4 part step quickly. 1) Roll thumb wheel on right joystick (forward or backward depending on if you want your attachment to run clockwise or counterclockwise ) and hold it. 2) Push lower outside left button on left joystick, and hold it. 3) Release wheel on right joystick. 4) Release button on left joystick. Do all 4 steps quickly and there you have it.
whats the red line ones do. contentious flow is under horn. maybe my button id bad.
The ones on the left joysitck are for the auxiliary electrical. See section titled "Aux Electrical Control" in the manual. The ones on the right joystick are for the Secondary Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls. look right at the bottom of the section titled "Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls". I think that would be the next thing to check. The illustration below shows (I think) your particular joystick. If you get into the wiring harness below the handle and open the 12-pin connector then try measuring continuity with a DMM on the joystick side when you press & release the continuous flow button.
You could also check the operation of the thumbwheel on the RH joystick. To do this would require a DMM capable of measuring duty cycle. In this case you would need to measure the duty cycle output of the thumbwheel ("roller signal") but in this case CONN 33 must remain connected to power the thumbwheel sensor. You'll need to back-probe the appropriate wires on the connector to make the tests.
got it contentious flow go,