I see a lot of heavy equipment "for hire" folks hauling heavy equipment on youtube. Yet they do not have dot numbers along with company logo, and they are crossing state lines. If I tried that in Florida dot would shut me down asap. Farm exemptions only work for local work as far as I know.
I have no idea. I don't cross state lines and have DOT numbers on my 1 ton and dump truck.
I never have. In VT no one has ever suggested they are needed. I'm a small scale user, but the subject has never come up. I did hear a fellow crossing into NY with a log truck in a snow storm. State cop cited him for license plate unreadable in snow, license plate light not working, (covered in snow) & his door numbers covered in snow. This fellow has a temper, but kept himself in control that day. He went to court & appealed his $2200. fines & won.
I could tell you about all kinds of stuff that gos on but most of it boils down to the wright Dot hasnt pulled them over and there is so much gray area about what is legal and what you need to have. I called and ask about having my name on my truck. I talked to the highway patrol and some guys with the Dot then they let me talk to another guy. I was on hold while he tried to figure it out gave me a good answer but then told me something that made what he had said wrong.
Back when I had my land clearing business, I owned a F550 truck with 10 ton goose neck trailer, one man operation. Dot would single me out while surrounded by 18 wheelers on the interstate to check me for cdl, lights, numbers, and all the other things they like to check. In my home state. Luckily I kept everything in working order.
Technically-I know this from working in my dads sign shop years ago. Name has to be minimum of 3" letters. Town and State 1.5" letters DOT, VIN 2.5" letters GVW 2" letters Fire Extinguisher 1" letters. Truck number 3" But if truck has signs that's all that really matters, DOT is not going to measure. If it is for commercial use it is required to have DOT numbers.
Seen the same in person wondering how they get away with it. Contractor out of GA did the site work for a "travel plaza" we did some ancillary work on as well. Big new shiny white 4 axle Pete with 3 axle detach shows up with a dozer and roller. No DOT # or company name on the door but lots of chicken lights. I have no idea how they get away with it.
I nearly flipped on the cop just thinking about that amount of stupidity
Where I live is near a weigh station so I suspect that's why we have so much DOT enforcement in my area, but I recently bought a new truck and went half ton specifically so I don't fall under their jurisdiction. I was pulled over twice in my 1 ton with no trailer and hassled to no end. I wanted a 3/4 ton with 10k or less gvwr but couldn't find one reasonable. True I would need DOT numbers as soon as I hooked a trailer, but at least I could drive free the rest of the time. I see lots of contractors running 3/4 and 1 tons without DOT numbers; I assume they just haven't been burned yet. (at least in GA)
my 3500 Ram SRW has a GVWR of 10,100. I did not know that could be an issue
I wasn't there. The guy telling the story is not one to tell stories exaggerated. I'd guess the cop was one of those who discriminate based on color. Lots of NY cops really come down HARD on those with green plates.
When I buy a truck I look hard at the differences between 2500 & 3500 series trucks. In some cases, there is no difference, except rear springs & shocks. My van cost $1900. less as a 2500 series. It came with every part number the same, except rear springs & shocks. When springs started getting spongy, I upgraded to springs & shocks for 3500 truck. Here, truck laws are adopted by the State from Federal laws. It clearly states "any trailer over 10,000 LB GVWR rating requires a CDL license with trailer endorsement........ Later in text, it exempts if total GVWR is under 26000. Scale weight is irrelevant, law only addresses GVWR of truck & trailer. Lots of people driving 13000 GVWR trucks with 12999 GVWR trailers, no CDL required.
& yes, DMV is concerned with 1 LB! Vermont was scheduled to change the law in 2020, CDL licenses require the driver to attend school to learn to drive before they can test. School is very expensive, & takes time from your work schedule. People chronically unemployed, or potentially to be employed by a big corporate trucking company attend free. They have time & don't have to pay. People not blessed with that sponsorship are less favored. The Governor froze that law for a time because of Covid. Seth (my son) took the test. He drove my 28000 LB truck, towed my 10000LB trailer. They denied him taking the test. The trailer was 1 LB short of the required weight rating. He had to reschedule, & return with the identically sized 22,500 GVWR trailer to test.
https://www.fleetworthy.com/compliance-blog/what-are-the-commercial-vehicle-labeling-requirements/
Here in AL if your company runs regular commercial vehicles less than 26,001 GCWR intrastate then we are exempt from Federal rules while inside the state. Friend of mine runs a foundation repair and waterproofing company using 3500 dually's pulling 12K trailers with small Kubotas right under 26K GCWR. State trooper pulled one of his trucks over in south AL for no DOT #. He called me asking advice and I gave him the link below, the ticket was thrown out. https://www.alea.gov/dps/highway-patrol/motor-carrier-safety-unit
I find driving a pickup they pay no attention to you, if you have a trailer you get a bit of attention but not much if it looks good. For 7 years I drove past scales open or not with my pickup and never stopped me once and i've never ran weights or name tags on my pickups, even with my 5500 flatdeck they don't care. Unless you're pulling a skidsteer or mini ex, or something really sketchy they have no interest in pickups.
In Washington St 16,001 GVRW. And combinations of 10,000 lbs or more. Plus the state uses the number to track safety violations and safety rating of a business. If it's hazardous material all have to have it. https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/intrastatedot.html
I'm supposing that the DOT numbers only apply to commercial vehicles and not Pa Kettle driving his dually with three axle enclosed car trailer carrying the top fueler and all the tools and gear to the next weekend competition?
I've never known. I drive past a sign, it says: "ALL TRUCKS EXIT RIGHT, TRUCK INSPECTION" I routinely drive past in anything with four tires. Never been chased. It is never clear to me the discrepancy between written law & accepted law. Most truck related laws do not apply to farmers, but that isn't in writing anywhere.
The dot told many racers around here that prize money is profit so
Correct.
If it was over the gvwr-WSP could get nasty about it.
That would be interesting how that works. Guy I share shop space with runs that and has the "private not for hire" on the side of the truck and I know he goes into the States. I mean, is it based off of running a business, or if it's for profit? That's two different things. Also just because someone is racing does not mean they've ever got prize money, or even compete in races where there is prize money. It doesn't make you guilty by association just because of what's in the trailer. It's likely one of those things if DOT things they are right you're getting a ticket, even if you're perfectly legal and you can get rid of it.
That's not true in the state of GA, at least where I live. If they think you're working out of it and it's a 3/4 ton or larger they are going to pull you over. First thing they do is ask you to open the door so they can check GVWR. When I was looking at trucks a few weeks ago I kept finding 3/4 tons with 10,200 and 10,300 etc GVWR....I told that salesman that it was absolute madness. They make the same truck with 10,000 gvwr 'as an option' (at least in Chevrolet). I told him whoever came up with the 10k and change GVWR has never worked in my area. Even if they would've gotten right on the price, and they weren't even close, I told him he couldn't give me the truck. Friend of mine got a ticket for an empty Coke can in the bed of his truck. A Coke can. Insecure load. The Department of Public Safety is completely out of control in GA. And yes they will run you down if you pass the weigh station and they think you are a work truck. I said my next truck would be any color but white, single rear wheel, and 10k or less gvwr. At least I can drive unhooked without fear of being pulled over. I wish we had the same law as Alabama; intrastate under 26k and you aren't under their jurisdiciton. I have to comply with every law an over the road truck does except CDL if I'm less than 26k. Even required to have a valid health card for 10,001 gvwr. Spare fuses, fire extinguisher...the whole lot. And they check. Trust me. They have so many laws it's impossible to not be in violation of something if they pull you over, if they want to give you a ticket. And our guys must be on commission. Friend of mine got grounded with a 1 month old van trailer they said the manufacturer didn't use the right color for an air line or an air fitting or something. Grounded. This company has a fleet of 50+ trucks and however many trailers. That ticket is going to court; but the trialer is grounded until it'd resolved.
people will try anything to skirt the law.
In my area of NH Vermont is known to have a vigilant DOT Presence, I purchased an excavator in Montpelier, rather than take my dump truck and tag trailer over there I hired a VT lowbed.
It's works till it doesn't. You just have to drive past the wrong dot to get a big ticket and then you will have numbers on the side. You only need dot numbers if your a motor carrier, you don't have to be if you don't go out of state. Dot pulled over dullay trucks with trailers more than semis because those people don't know how to secure a load like a trucker does, so keep them srw and a f250. Pretty much all f250's are 10k or less, most f350s are 10k+, always buy a f250 over a f350. If I had to run log books I'd have to log a 10k+ pickup because it's always driving commercial. I would be supposed to log a f250 with a trailer because it's over 10k at that point, running commercial. They will get bit eventually
I was registered to run only Intrastate (working within 150 mile radius of home) not Interstate and was required to have dot #s. If I wanted to go out of state or longer distance I had to buy a 3 day permit from my home state, Fl.
Edit: If I wanted to travel out of state I had to buy a 3 day permit from that state.
The thrill is real.
The red flags it throws with DOT, usually is just the start.
Ya, I hear that!! I'm looking in to doing some low bedding from Washington to Idaho and Montana but haven't the 1st clue where to start with being legit on that.
Check with Idaho, Montana DOT. They will tell you what you need.
Night time night time oh and some night time
pilot car travels WAY out there to see if the scales are open
Y'all ever hear a lil tune from Bob Seger?
This day and age any and all violations--insurance rates take a hike. Pushing the limit/running a scale just ain't wise. I did it some years ago, like over 40 years ago. Wasn't good then and sure as hell isn't now.
(I think) Once upon a time didn't you need to be able to read, understand and speak the English language?
It's still that way unless your a Well I'm going to shut up cause of forum rules
I'm happy for my current limited exposure and for exiting the business soon. It does not get less complicated.
I stopped and spoke to a DOT guy here in Georgia at a buc-ees station a few months ago. I asked him about the 10k plus trailer CDL rule. He said as long as your total rig weight is under 26K they do not require a CDL license. I told him a lot of guys use 14k trailers and what is the deal. He said it with an F250 was no problem. But when you get a dually and step into a 14k / + truck with a 14k trailer then the CDL license is required. But it seemed that was how he interpreted the law, because others might give the ticket for a trailer over 10k. I was also told if you use the truck commercially and you weight over 10k you need the DOT number. My dad got stopped pulling a shed and got 12 violations. He had a permit. He went through the city of Roswell. He got written up for no valve stem covers and his bed side boards not being tall enough for the blocks, he has been using his truck that way for 40 years... They gave him so many days to correct the issues and send them proof and it would tun into a warning.. For what it is worth.
He should have asked the DOT officer to show him the regulation on valve stem caps. This subject has been on going for years-many have looked-I have looked and found no regulation requiring valve stem caps being required by federal motor carrier rules. Bogus. If a DOT officer writes a warning or a ticket for anything that sound odd you have the right to have the officer show the 396. regulation.
TS is correct, I've been through the ringer with these ass clowns here at the Brady scales so many times I think I've got a permanent name plaque inside their office. I will fight every single BS thing they try to throw at me and one of them was valve stem caps and they could not show me the code on it. I told them the next time they bring that up I'll be filing a lawsuit against them for harassment. It never happened again after that.
All dressed up in a blue suit.
I believe he was written up in a way that related to proper safety equipment. The code section that it was related to was broad and I believe it was a Georgia state code that relates to uniform rules of the road and standard factory equipment. He was stopped and cited by local law enforcement when they were preforming truck safety inspections. Our state changed most of that now. The have made a department of highway public safety which sole job is to do safety inspections. He is in his late mid 70s now and he is still working. He down sized trucks and mostly uses a single axle trailer combo which keeps him under 10k. Of course the heavier buildings would be better pulled with a diesel...