Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you interpret those torque numbers!

CoOlSlY · 2021-04-18 22:57

For the wheel lug nuts on our 710D, they say to torque at those specs but never seen specs like these Wheel-to-Axle Hardware Cap Screws Torque 575 + 170 — 115 N˙m (424 + 125 — 85 lb-ft) What does the "424 + 125" mean? Is it 85 lb-ft the proper torque?

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2021-04-19 09:49

    Based on your quoted numbers the torque spec is 425 ft lb. The permitted tolerance is up to 125 ft lb above that figure or up to 85 ft lb below it.

  2. #2CoOlSlY2021-04-19 10:05

    I find this extremly high but I don't know too much about all this!

  3. #3Nige2021-04-19 10:46

    I have no idea - never worked on one. What diameter are the bolts.? Post a shot of the service manual illustration to give context if you can.

  4. #4JL Sargent2021-04-19 10:50

    No, those bolts require a high torque. I bought a 3/4" torque wrench for the job.

  5. #5CoOlSlY2021-04-19 17:30
  6. #6Nige2021-04-19 17:33

    Hard to tell from a photo but they look pretty meaty. I wouldn't have thought 425 ft lb was out of order. Just comparing them to Cat specs a 7/8" diameter bolt/nut would be tightened to 460 ft lb, a 1" diameter bolt to 660 ft lb.

  7. #7Delmer2021-04-19 23:51

    That's 340-550 foot pounds like Nige said. Not much more than the typical guy at the tire shop puts on your car tires with an impact If you have a 2' breaker bar, then that's 210 pounds on the end of it, pretty easy to hit near the middle of that range.

  8. #8Nige2021-04-19 23:55

    I'm skinny. I'd need a 30"-long bar to hit 425 ft lb.........

  9. #9mg23612021-04-20 04:54

    Those wheel bolts are 3/4 inch grade 8. Torque them to 425 lbft. No more. Ignore the +125 lbft. They will probably stretch at that higher torque (I know, I have stretched a few). For some reason the Deere specs on those bolts push the limits of hardware torque.

  10. #10John C.2021-04-20 10:30

    And don't forget to retorque them two more times after your start using the machine.