Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you loosen stuck clutch adjustment ring?

Abscraperguy ยท 2010-10-06 23:19

I have a 1989 freightliner truck thats been parking for awhile and now the clutch adjustment ring inside the pressure plate is stuck. I don't want to do a clutch so is there a simple way of loosening it?

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042010-10-07 01:34

    I have had success putting a blunt punch in an air chisel and hammering against the lugs on the ring. Vibration is a powerful force. BTW, you are having someone hold the pedal on the floor when you try to move it, aren't you?

  2. #2jughead2010-10-07 05:27

    had a friends backhoe do that. started it in gear and rode around on it for about 10 min. with the clutch peddle depressed and it came loose. mite be a little complicated with a truck but mite work.

  3. #3bill onthehill2010-10-07 05:31

    If you can get it to a down grade try free rolling and popping it into a higher gear. A little bit of rotational torque should break it loose. Driving around in gear with the engine warmed up helps also.

  4. #4Coldfront2010-10-07 10:19

    I also use the air chiesel with a blunt punch make sure you have the clutch pedal all the way down, and turn the ring clockwise. I use a piece of 2x4 wood I cut to just the right length so I can push the pedal down then jam it against the front of the driver seat so I can do it by myself alone, it holds the pedal to the floor, with a air seat you have to do it while not sitting in the seat just push the pedal down with your hands, adjust the seat forward or back to get it just right.

  5. #5John C.2010-10-07 20:33

    Don't want you to take this wrong, but did you pull the lock bracket out?

  6. #6Coldfront2010-10-08 08:23

    Yea, and some pressure plates have the 5/8 bolt head you turn clockwise to adjust, and some have just the lock bracket you take out and turn the ring manually, that was the one I was talking about. And if it is the 5/8 bolt head type there is still a lock you have to push in the wrench or socket on the bolt head to release the spring lock.

  7. #7Abscraperguy2010-10-20 00:09

    Yeah finally getting to trying this stuff out. I'm quite sure that the lock bracket is out but I would be relieved if thats all it is. Wish me luck