Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you remove the hyd pump on a case 580b

grt_580b ยท 2020-08-15 14:17

I am bringing a 60's model 580b back to life and have decided to replace the hydraulic pump because the old one is leaking badly and they are fairly cheap. I have the front bumper removed and and lines off except for the elbow on the suction side, but the hose is removed that connects it to the tank. I took out the two bolts that were holding it on the frame but now I can't get it to come out at all. It turns freely I just can't seem to get the splined shaft to come free. It feels like there is some other retention device holding it on, does anyone know if there is something else I need to take apart or is it just seized in the coupling? Thanks Garrett

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042020-08-15 14:39

    Never seen any retention device, but I have had to use a hammer to get the coupler off the shaft. I reinstall them with a liberal coating of never-sneeze.

  2. #2grt_580b2020-08-15 14:51

    Ok that's what I was expecting when I tore into it I'll go beat it real good and see if I can make any progress, if I can't get it is there any easy way to remove the coupler? It looks like I may have to take the radiator off to get to the four bolts?

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-08-15 20:10

    The splines on pump shaft and coupler are frozen together and you will have to lube it up with a hot wrench. The coupler will fit through the hole in pump mount but if the "U" shaped plate that goes around the pump shaft is still there by chance you will have to remove it. It is spot welded to bottom radiator tank. We always just too a long pry bar and drove it between the plate and the bottom tank and popped the weld loose.

  4. #4grt_580b2020-08-16 13:45

    Thanks guys I got it out. I was able to wrap a come a long around it and pull against the loader bucket. It took alot of tension but it came out. Of course I found out that the coupler splines were jacked up so now I have to order a new one any tips on where to get one cheap?

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-08-16 13:55

    Case / CNH dealers are the only place you will be able to buy them. It is usually best to replace the hydraulic pump than the input shaft in it. Weigh your options on that. You will need to replace the rubber bushings also.

  6. #6jimg9842020-08-16 14:08

    look close at the plumbing on a replacement pump,, may need to consider resealing the old pump,, then all fits back GL

  7. #7grt_580b2020-08-24 07:31

    i replaced the pump which i found for $425 on brokentractor.com and replaced the coupling with one i bought on ebay for about $25. thanks guys