The owner asked me if this could be welded. What say you?
Yes sir, looks like cast steel to me.
I think my question would be how did it get broken?
Good thing there's.no grease there. Lol. I'd sell him the knuckle. You didn't neglect and break it. Closer look , there's no grease on any part of the articulation joint. Plenty of zirks to grease.
Its repairable. Id price a replacement before starting. Some times the parts are reasonably priced...... You could cut the whole ear off and build a new piece with the hole. Then weld it back on. Then there would be no line bore required. Or take the whole pice out. Fix it on the bench. Any way you do it. If done as a perment repair. It gonna take some time.
This is not something I can gamble on so I have ordered a new piece. If I was to weld repair this and it broke during operation and got someone hurt or killed...…..guess who they would come after. It just takes too much abuse to roll the dice. I believe the bearing had failed earlier and they continued to operate the machine until the outer bore got too thin and broke off. They never found the broken piece.
Looks like Sakai, correct? Single steering cylinder? I wouldn't roll the dice either. You're absolutely right, the liability is too great. Plus it's a sheepsfoot. Not the most stable platform to begin with.
Close....kinda. Bomag BW211. Not sure whats been happening with all the Bomags around me lately but I have repaired a bunch of them this year. +
My first thought was weld in a ball socket for the repair and drill & tap a grease fitting in it . https://www.allpartsstore.com/ItemD...PT04&SearchItem=&TextSearch=&ItemNumber=BS115 Sounds like you got it covered with the new trunnion on the way . Could ya buy that rascal for under $ 5,000 .00 ?
You need to find out for sure what type of material it is to determine if it could be welded with any chance of being a lasting repair. The way it's snapped off looks like it could be a type of cast iron but a spark test or seeing if it will cut with a cutting torch would better determine what it is. If it does cut with a torch it would be cast steel and could be successfully welded good as new or better with the right technique. Might be worth checking out and repairing for a spare if it is cast steel. If it's cast iron better to replace. Not that cast iron couldn't be repaired but would be a much more involved process, perhaps brazing would be the best approach but would have to be heated up super hot and slow cooled to be a permanent repair.
We generally warm it up a bit lay down 7018 electric glue on cast iron . Ford meets Chevy with a 7018 . LOL !
Don't think that would work to good on a steering knuckle.
Im awaiting price and availability from the Bomag dealer here. They are having a hard time finding the part number even though I took a picture of it on the trunnion and sent it to them by phone pic.
That don't sound good .
So @td25c ... what ya building with the water pumps?
I would look in a junk yard first. Hmmm, I looked around and didn't see any in my junk yard sources. That may be a no-go.
I'm getting in to this " Abstract Art " steel sculpture thing . The water pump sculpture is called " Frustration in Cavitation " . This stuff brings good money . https://www.saatchiart.com/sculpture/abstract/steel Shal we start the bidding at $ 10,500.00 ? This is a true piece of shi … I mean Art ! Going once …. Twice … Will donate all proceeds to Vetech63's compactor project .
Yeah , worst case scenario ……….. Pull the trunnion off the compactor and get it to a welding / fab shop for repair . It aint like trying to put another feller on the moon . They can handle it .
Just an observation but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of meat there to begin with.
Yup , my thinking was use all of the area to weld in a " Ball Socket " joint & send the boys back to work .
Interesting idea. Go to the farm dealer and get a cat III? weld ball socket and go back to work.
Repair 1st crossed my mind until I came to the realization that this customer is too wreckless. (see just no words thread). The repair thought lasted about 3 seconds.
That was one of my first thoughts . Grab something that's common off the shelf yet plenty stout . Cat III joint would be pretty close . https://www.allpartsstore.com/ItemD...PT04&SearchItem=&TextSearch=&ItemNumber=BS115 We keep a small variety of them on hand .
I noticed that , looks like you have your hands full Vetech .
True, but it looks like my Bomag dealer does too. They have been working with someone at Bomag for over a week and still no part number. The explanation I got is that Bomag isn't showing the part in their computer system and they are having to go through catalogs.....lol. Not sure if that is really the case, but I just sent pics of it to my tech service guy at Bomag to see if he can assist. Parts have been getting ridiculous!
………….and my tech support guy comes though in less than 2 hours. Part # 58040212 at a cost of $2027.30. Now I just have to get it here.
That's good news and pretty reasonable cost .
A fix would be close to that. Remove it. Prep it. Build a ear. Heat it. Weld it. Post heat. Reinstalling. Two grand aint a bad price.
Just do like a owner did to his transmission on his 60 ft albacore boat. MG514 twin disk with crack in the casing from rubbing spider gear that was destroyed, instead of letting me weld it back he JB welded it. Needless to say I took that day off.
Probably still going to as long as it was not in a structural spot.
Should have this housing midweek. Im not tearing this down until I have it in my hands.
Just wonder what the rest of the swivel assembly looks like with no grease?
Smart..... Cause when you get it there's always that small chance something will be different...number of bolt holes....LH/RH...etc...
I should know here in the next day or 2. I only ordered what I knew for sure I needed. They have already sent me 1 wrong part that wasn't even close...…..not sure if that was hurricane related or not since the part was coming from South Carolina. I ordered it the day before the hurricane made landfall.
Duct tape. Red Green that s***!
Housing is supposed to be arriving around noon today so I get to tear this down today.....OH JOYYYY! By the way...….I haven't seen a grease zert anywhere on this assembly. More pics later, hopefully no blood trails.
Might not hurt to put some in while you have it apart. As long as it won't hurt the integrity of the castings.
Wow, I was thinking how could they not make it serviceable? But $2000+ each? That makes perfect sense.
If the women don’t find you handsome, at least they find you handy. Love it
Got it apart. Getting it away from the machine wasn't nothing. Getting it tore down in the floor was a bitch. There isn't one dam grease zert on this entire unit. Its grease packed from the factory and they evidently don't use much as it had dried out long ago. This uses those PITA solid conical cups and cones and every one of them was rusted up...…..had to cut all of them. When I removed the unit from the machine I was expecting some kind of boss on the bolt surfaces that aligned the part to the frame. Nope. NADA, nothing...…..just a flat plate bolt-up. Ive got all new bearings coming with a couple of grease seals to try and get this back up and running late next week.
Well it didn't look that bad in the brochure Lol
Does it ever? LOL
Got this job finished yesterday with no issues. It was a hell of a lot easier going back together than getting apart for sure. I didn't see any need to take pictures going back together though, it was a Saturday morning and I was looking to get it done and heading home. LOL