In the curent company, I have only 1 hour for noon break including lunch time and seista, which i think is too short and not good for health, since we all know it's bad to sit down directly after you finished lunch. How long is your noonbreak, and are you happy with it?
Lonking one must look at the over length of the work day here I have started at 6am worked until 10 then take a half hour break, half hour at 13 00, 15min @ 1600 finish at 1900. More recently my day starts a 0800 15min @1000, half hour @ 1300 and finish @ 1730..........
My working day starts at around 6AM and usually ends somewhere after 7PM. If I get more than 20 minutes in peace to sit down and eat something at lunchtime it's unusual. Apart from that it's grab a cup of coffee whenever. It may not be to everyone's liking but I've got accustomed to it over the years. Back in bygone days starting at 7AM and working on a broken-down machine until the early hours of the next morning - the good old "ghoster" as they were known, was nothing unusual. Consider yourself lucky to get an hour IMHO.
Somedays I take a hour for lunch and somedays I don't get to take any break. It just depends on what I have going on.
normal day here is start at 0700 and go straight through till 1700 (5:00PM). Grab a sandwich on the go. When go to twelve hour days, stop at noon for 30 minutes. No wonder you don't get anything done lonkinggroup
On the site I'm working on now, the homebuilder gives their guys 15 minutes at 10 a.m., and half an hour at noon. They use two framing subcontactors. Both of them take 45 minutes, one at 11, and the other at 12, but no 15 minute break. The outfit that's doing the sitework works 4 tens, sometimes 5, and like Greg, for lunch they grab something on the go. About 20 years ago, I worked for a guy who ran his operation the same way, and it got me out of the habit of stopping for any break. I work straight through, although when I start and quit varies with the circumstances. If I'm going to be on the job, I'm not going to waste my time by stopping for some arbitrary number of minutes, just because...
Breaks 'round these parts, start 0700, AM break 0930 for 15 minutes, lunch break 1230 for 30 minutes, PM break 1430 for 15 minutes, quitting time 1630. Honestly, if you need more down time than that at one sitting or during the day you need to pursue an office job 'cause you're not cut out for the real world.
on a UK housing job.usually an 8 hour shift, 10 minutes morning break, half hour lunch.Others usually half an hour breakfast,same lunchtime.Muckshifting 2 half hour breaks plus 15 minutes tea break. Things may have changed since I was working,retired 2004
Our breaks vary depending on what we're doing. Most operators here get 10 mins at 11:00, 20 mins at 2:00 and 20 mins at 5:00. Start time is 7:30, and shift change is also at 7:30, two shifts, 24 hours a day. Shovel operators have it a bit different. Same start time and shift change, but they get one 3 hour break at either 11:00 or 2:00 depending on the circumstances of the day. One hour of that is for lunch, and for the other two hours, they become oilers, and do whatever utility work is required in that time. If there is nothing on the go, then they get a full three hour break.
Seista - I like that idea !
In Latin America it was typical to have a 2 hour break for lunch so that people had time to get home and eat, then get back to work in the afternoon. All it really did was extend the total working day, which was usually 8:00AM to 6:00PM.
mate last time i was at there factory it was 2 hr lunch breaks and most of the chinese factorys are that way waste time iam sure you have had these same experiences over here greg. now for my lunch 10mins for morning tea at 10am and 20mins for lunch at 1.30pm and get out of the factory around 8pmand start at 6am
Ours is as long as it take to shove a sandwich down your throat and back to work. But the boss pays us for 9 hours(7:00-4:00).
I take a break when I'm finished. (We call that Millertime.) Although I am guilty of eating a lil deb snack cake while I drive. I often take a siesta on Sunday.
It all depends on the day I am having, if I have a bunch of jobs going, or need to push one out I go straight through. I try to at least eat some thing and stay hydrated so I don't die on my way home.
We work 10's, 7am to 5pm. 15 min break at around 10am and a 20 min break at around 1:30pm. I pay the guys for 10 hours.
Did a job on the west coast several years ago. Equipment got loaded on ship for export. Longshoremen did the loading. Their schedule follows: 8:00 AM start, 15 minutes walk on time from where they parked 200 feet from dock. 9:15 AM to 9:30 AM walk off time for 9:30 to 9:45 Break, 9:45 to 10:00 walk back time. 11:45 to 12:00 Noon walk off time for 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM lunch, 1:00 PM to 1:15 PM walk back on time. 2:15 to 2:30 PM walk off time for 2:30 to 2:45 break, 2:45 to 3:00 PM walk back on time. 4:45 to 5:00 PM walk off time , quit at 5:00 PM. That comes to a total of 5.5 hours per day. All in their contract. I won't say that this is typical of all the Longshoreman Locals, but was for this one.
So in essence, they were going to, having and coming back from breaks more than they worked. Work 4.5 hours, break for 5.5hrs all in a 10 hour day. And some question what is wrong with this country.
The mine I am working at now runs a 12 hour day. Start time 7am first break 11 am for 1/2 hour, ,everything is parked, operators can have a bite to eat, get out and stretch, washroom break, whatever. Second break is at 3pm for another 1/2 hour. Quiting time is 7pm. Night shift runs the same sched. I didn't like it when I first went to work there but now it makes sense. I also works well for the mechanics. We start our shift 1 hour earlier so we are out of sync with the rest of the mine, when the equipment goes down on break, of we go with 1/2 of an hour to get a bunch of little complaints repaired.
Our labour laws stipulate a one hour break for every five hours continuous work completed, which can be broken up into shorter breaks at shorter intervals at the employers' discretion. Most operations in construction, plant hire and forestry go above the 45 hour (or something like that) work week, but compensate with a four or five day weekend at month-end, known as 'pay weekend'. It seems to work. I get and hour for lunch, but I'm currently in an office, so its a bit long for me. Forestry labourers start at dawn or close to it and knockoff at about two in the afternoon, so they eat at about 9. It depends really, but it has to be one hour in total.
Greg , your right , I used to cart timber onto a wharf and they had the same deal . Walk off time was all part of it and they all had their own scooters to run between lunch room and work place , lunch time a few used to ride to the pub for lunch , they were even more useless when they got back . This was a few years ago now
years ago in the UK the pub/bar was where many construction workers went for their break.Many used to come back pissed as a rat(pissed as a rat means drunk in the UK )Thankfully this bad habit was stopped by the Health and Safety.However many seem to use "blow" or "weed" instead. This was common in the early 2000's, no idea if it still goes on now as I'm retired:drinkup
Start work at 6 then get a 15 minute break at 9am, then 30 minutes at lunch then quit a 2:30 sometimes we work OT. If we work alot of OT we can opt that time on Friday for a longer lunch. In the hot part of the summer we have a little longer moring and then an added 10 minute break depending on the temp.
I work 7 until 7 with one half hour break. 24 days on and then 4 days off.
I am so using that term from now on! Thanks.:drinkup
Two half hour breaks in a 12.5 hr shift. 6.15 start, 6.45 finish. Breaks start at 10.30 or 11 for the first and 3 or 3.30 for the second. Same for day and night shift.
Greg, you might want to check the math on that. It adds up to 3.5 hours per day, which is still ridiculous, but not nearly as bad as the 5.5 hours you mention.
I think he is referring to 5.5 hours of work time for the day. As you said, still ridiculous by any sane persons reasoning.
Yair . . . CM1195. I thought you blokes said "drunk as a skunk"? Some places here say "pissed as a plover (or parrot), then there's "full as a fart" and "full to the gills" Must be a regional thing hey? Cheers.
Yep, "drunk as a skunk" is one of my favorites as well. I don't know if it's a southern thing or not but I have heard it my whole life. Sometimes my wife says I am "full as a fart" or is it "full of farts" ....
Just plain old "Pissed" covers it here . And it doesn't mean your angry
Half hour for lunch.
Supposed to be 30 minutes but i usually take 45 and skip my coffee breaks.
I usually take 10 minute lunch, and only stop for a drink of water when I need it in the summer time. When running the excavator in the summer my water jug is with me and a quick sip when I need it, is my only break.
I just left my job in carpentry for rig work, but when we were going it was start at 7, show up early though, then break at 10 for 15 mins, then lunch at 1230 for half an hour, then go until 430. But your breaks werent paid. whenever i ran equipment for companies though i didnt take breaks. when you got guys out working hard for hours and they only take a 15 why should i take it when i sat on my ass for that time. Biggest reason im not into the whole operating gig anymore really.
we take 30 mins form 12-12.30. some times we may take 45 mins depending on the day. we don't really take breaks. i pay the guys for a straight day..meaning they are on the clock during lunch. we are known to take a break under a shady tree every now and then as well. regards,cd
When we're digging in a loop we normally only stop for lunch and dinner and keep at it until either done or dark. When we are installing a new unit in the attic in the summer, breaks every 15-20 and a drink of water. Three of us go thru 3 cases of water and no bathroom break. Makes one appreciate working outside under a shaded canopy.
Really makes you appreciate an A/C cab.
7 am start, 5 pm finish. Two hour break. That's what my guys get although this might change in a few months time as operators are getting real pissy lately and I'm looking into recruiting operators outside the country. Do note the operations are not in uk just in case anyone wants to shoot me for bringing in foreign workers.
where is the new job Spangles?
somewhere over the rainbow...just kidding in your pm. How's Philippines treating ya? Sam
I made a critical error when I came here 4 years ago.I didnt realise I allowed my UK citizeship to lapse.If I get back home I have to reapply for healthcare etc etc and no guarantee they will grant it
I was not aware uk citizenship can lapse...how is that even possible?! if you're British and hold a British passport then you're still entitled to healthcare regardless of how long you've been out of the country.
they rescind free healthcare if you are out of the UK for 6 months.I can avail healthcare but at the full cost.I am trying to get accepted with my old GP Surgery but there is no guarantee of this being successful.I need help but don't think this is forthcoming sadly
GP's don't know if you've been out of the country or not. so long you can register with them you're all good. there's no need to tell your new gp or old one you've been out of the country. just need an address to give to them when you register. Alternatively apply for an European Health Insurance Card which is free and pop over to france for free medical treatment.
Robin is that down to Pay related social insurance payments??
the GP may not know but HMG does,,,,,,,,,believe me
30 minute lunch break for my crew, and it seems to extend to 45 mins quite often
How long is the shift?
This is similar to the rental work I do for Union Pacific. Most of the time I just move the equipment in and out while some of the more "seasoned" operators fill the seats. I have come to the realization that it takes a special kind of person to work for the railroad. Being able to watch paint dry and watch the grass grow is a must. Plenty of reading material and a large enough lunch box to carry a thanksgiving feast also helps. I guess I'm too hyper and self motivated to fit in with that crowd. There have been days where I've sat in a loader, taken the mandatory rest breaks, lunch breaks and sat thru the safety briefings without even turning a wheel....and billed UP for 12 hrs. Those were some of the longest days of my life. As far as breaks....I take them if I have to. I'd rather work thru and go home early.
We eat when we get a break during the day, don't take 30 minutes,just 10 - 15 minutes.Plus our 10-15 break for coffee around 9:30.
I dont know how the railroad gets anything done, all the do is sit around and go to safety meetings. there has been time where i sat for days and did nothing, but we still billed them for what ever time i was on site. As for breaks, we eat when ever we can, someday you might get to sit for 20-30 minutes and eat other days you eat as fast as you can and keep working all day.
Ours is for 45 minutes lunch break and two 15 minutes tea break as well, one in the morning and one in the evening.
Breaks and food occur when the opportunity comes along. However they get paid for a complete day. Sometimes we will have a scheduled down time for lunch but not often.
On the job at 6:30 no later than 6:45. Machines roll at 7. If it's all operating time (no manual labor) then lunch break at 11:30 with no set breaks in between. :30 min lunch break usually takes :45 but I only cut 1/2 hour. Quit at 3:30 for an 8 hour day or work OT if the job requires it.