Auction bought of course! Customer got it to their place and stuff started smoking everywhere and the machine died in the parking lot. Anyone surprised? Lets get started!
A tin foil fuse with a spade fuse backer.........NO, never do this.
This is what the vibrator system was wired to. NOT FACTORY...……..run off a toggle switch. I yanked this out.
The first pic is the WRONG solenoid for this electrical system. Purchased off Ebay for $100.00. They may look the same, but they don't WORK the same. The second pic is the correct solenoid for the machine installed.
First pic is the thumb button vibrator on and off witch. Broken wire and the wiring inside the insulation was burned out all the way to the plug-in. The second pic is the Vibrator low/high amplitude switch plug on the dash. Completely burned out and the switch had completely failed.
When are we getting the popcorn smiley? I'll be watching this to add to my "don't do" folder.
The fuel shutoff solenoid is wire tied to the shutoff solenoid wiring...…...ANOTHER NOOOOO.
There were 5 relays in the relay panel, the machine only requires 5...…...so whats the problem? Ingersol's especially also use DIODE blocks. They look the same as a 5 spade relay but they work very differently. Using relays in place of diode blocks sends power where it isn't supposed to be and can cause wiring shorts and burns. I posted this pic to show you what they look like in comparison. Left one is the relay, the right is the DIODE block. 2 relays were removed and the diode blocks went in there place.
I still have 2 systems I am currently working and will post those findings. No telling what is next!
Nice Job.. U have more patience than me.. but then again, I'm not a "mechanic".. I would look at that & say, "sorry, I don't do electrical problems".. lol..
I've been asking for one FOREVER! LOL
That's what's known in the trade as a "nice little earner" provided you're working on a hourly rate to sort it out. It takes as long as it takes, the customer gets billed for all the labour hours and replacement of all the incorrect parts that were installed before. What's not to like...? It requires a good deal of patience and access to the relevant technical information.
Not HE related, but in the same vein. Back in the mid ‘80s, the Air Force decided to retrain a slew of people from over to undermanned fields. We got a guy from facilities maintenance retrained into aircraft electronics. He was an E6 and no one could tell him anything. That’s where the fun began. One of the systems we worked was a dispenser that was really just an overly-complex stepper switch that applied pulses to fire squibs in a particular order. There was one circuit card involved and it was really 2 identical circuits mirror imaged on each side of the card. Fresh out of tech school and outranking all of us peons, he decided he was going to troubleshoot and repair one. What started out as a very common failure that everyone else knew required replacement of a single capacitor took me about 2 weeks to work my way through in between other jobs. We had a really large stock of components that were used primarily for another system we also worked. Many electronic components look alike if you don’t know what you’re doing, and he didn’t. Rather than look in the parts manual, he randomly selected components from bench stock and just soldered them into both sides of the board. The issue that took me the longest to figure out was that he left an insulator off the bottom of one of the driver transistors, so the output pulses were shorting to ground. He never touched another thing and spent the remainder of his time there doing admin stuff. His name was Rucker, but after that he was “endearingly” known as Wrecker.
I'd have replaced the R with an F for his nickname
Well, there’s that fine line between disrespect and jovial ridicule that one has to walk in the military.
Man does that bring back memories. I went to work for a construction outfit and they had six of those machines. And every one of them looked just like that. Electrical nightmares. When it was known that I knew my way around a electrical circuit, I was then charged to get them all right and in working order. I pretty much just tore out all the farm repairs and started from scratch. Some of the repairs that were made had to of taken longer than to find the actual problem. I spent so much time doing electrical repairs on those machines I can almost draw you a schematic from memory.
Why would you use aluminum foil when you could do right and put a piece of 10 ga wire in there. Just kidding,don’t ever do this either
Could a just bent a finish nail in half and piened the ends flat. Should carry at least 60 amps.
Man OH Man does that bring back some NOT so very fond memories from the Side work, concrete laying and finishing machines, most custom built and ALL so different as well a mess by the time I got to them. Had 120 and 12v system for lighting had a generator so any and everything could get cross wired, COOK Everything once in awhile, same for asphalt buckets, SHEESH everything caked in old oil and layered go up in flames like a Tarpot.
I just skin off a piece of 10-14 ga. stranded and pull a strand for every 2-3 amps I need
I got all of the above fixed today. All I have left is the high/low vibration system, which is now hot to the switch but not going to the solenoid valves.
LOL ....I see some of you guys are throwing other ideas out there for the guests.
So another ** story. Had a guy working a high voltage power supply that was blowing input power fuses. He knew one of the three filter caps was bad, but didn’t want to unsolder each one to figure it out. So, he stuffed 3 paper clips in the fuse holders, lit a smoke, turned it on and walked across the shop. Shortly thereafter, one of the caps exploded. They were about 2”x2” phenolic encapsulated cubes. It sounded like a shotgun. The shop chief about crapped his pants and inadvertently threw cup of coffee all over the place. The guy who did it walked over and calmly said, “found the bad one.”
Hey..... there's more than one way to skin a cap
Do you know where you can get these diode blocks??
Hey Vetech63, Would you take a look at "bulldog stone tr34r runs then dies?" It's right underneath your post. You seem to have a wealth of electrical knowledge! Nobody else seems to have any idea how to diagnose or repair this machine. I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have! Thanks, Garner