I'm looking at a 2001 mini excavator with 4,300 hours on it. I don't know if it is all original but does the equipment start to go bad after this many hours? What are some main components that go bad first.
Larger minis may have more life in them but based on discussions I had with a rental outfit they figure their Kubota 2 ton machines start requiring repairs at around 1500 hour. A that point they sell them for half price. I guess that means they figure half the life is left in them.
This is a 2001 John Deere I'm looking at that weighs 7,500 lbs with 4,300 hours.
History, hours I think you need to consider the history as much, if not more than the hours. If it has had a genuine owner or two I dont consider the hours excessive for a 7yr old machine. If it was ex rental it was probably due to go for scrap at 3yrs old The general state of the machine should give a clue to what life its had. Why is it for sale? Has it had a 2 gallon respray walk away Check undercarriage for excessive wear, replacement. On rubber or steel ? Pull the dipstick Put the bucket just off ground and push it and dipper about with your hand for clue as to wear on pins etc. Check for leaks, drips, cab/canopy scraches, dents, repairs. Does the hour clock actually work :cool2 Look it over from a critical point of view, and take some pictures
Thanks for the response! It was exactly what I was looking for. BTW: It is from a private owner and he says he has no use for it anymore.
Peeking in my Yanmar and Cat Service books it looks that they consider 6000 hours to be scrapheap or half life re-build time....Like said above, the engines could go well beyond this with proper servicing and I know of two minis with over 7000 hours on them that are holding up reasonably well. Both are O/O machines.
I've always considered 6000 as too many for a mini. But it all depends who ran it and did they maintain it. Say what you will about rentals, at least they maintain them. I have bought 5 mini's mostly from auctions and have had very good results. Keeping them for a couple of years, doing the odd job off my property and using it for myself plenty. Then I have been lucky enough to recover all or most of my money when I resell them. The most hours I have had on any one was 3300.
I rented a Tak 135 last month from our local big name rental outfit. It had about 1,000 hrs on the clock and not a bushing left in it. You must have a better rental house than I do.
I have a Cat 302.5 we did new tracks, new center pin for the swivel boom and rebuilt the quick coupler. I'm a maintenance freak. 4300 hours sounds like to much, I shoot for about 1000 hours.
Newbie question: So,1000 hrs. is pretty much a good standard for replacing major wear components in general use then?
At 1,000hrs a properly maintained mini shoulnt need anything, but at 4,300 there will probably be some sloppy pins, maybe turntable and undercarriage work, but a totally usable machine. Just depends on how tight you expect eveything to be.
As Humboldt said.....there should be nothing major to repair/replace at 1000hrs.....at 3000 some components need assessing for changeout or repair....but again, most O/O minis I see get over 3000 hours with next to nothing to do...maybe rubber tracks and an odd pin or bush. I have just gone past 1500 hours and we had the dealer out to check, adjust and take oil samples....nothing to do.
Exactly, i have loose machines that still dig and make money. They are also paid for. lol..... It will out dig me everyday. That's what I need.
I retired a 331 bobcat 98 model in 2005 with 6800hrs... She was done... Let her go for 5000... She earned her keep
New guy here, but I have a bobcat 320 with 3000 hours. Starts right up and she's tight. I think like the other guys said, it depends on how well they were taken care of.
I have long said that rental machine hours each equal about 2 private party hours in terms of machine wear & tear. Looking at my own ex-rental machine, sometimes I think that number should be closer to 3. Dougsterâ„¢ :usa
Well, should have kept my mouth shut. Back filling a trench yesterday my front blade's ram seal sprung a leak. Fluid just a pouring out.
you jinxed your machine.
Tak 145 My buddies Tak 145 has 3700 hrs and still runs great. He has only redone the bucket pins on it because he consistently runs a 36inch digging bucket that looks like it belongs on a 170. I am very impressed with his machine and he would have zero problems if he didn't have issues with the ac compressor pulley eating belts. He removed the ac compressor and does not have any problems now. On top of all the hard work doing septic systems and digging foundations he is a big dozer guy, that does not own a dozer, and he likes to push like mad with the blade. He actually got roughly 2800hrs out of his first set of tracks. I am extremely impressed with his machine and I am looking at the 153 model myself. Hoping to have the strength of a 145 and close to fitting in spots where the 135 would go. We shall see.
The 153 is a good machine. It is wider than 145, but if you get drive the machine into the job you can work it. WIth the near zero tail and zero swing its great for tight areas. The side to side boom is a great feature, but better I think than a traditional swing boom.
I found this thread online but my KX121 has 6400 hrs on it. I bought it from the original owner and it had a pile of maintenance and service records.. greased and fluids religiously done. It's good for my needs as I will only use it 100-200 hrs a year..and it sure beats the shovel.
I'm gonna have to stop yelling at my operators, then. I've got 4 TB180FR machines 2100hr 3300hr 6400hr 9800hr And a TB53FR with 7000hr.