I have a 1979 Case 580C. Working it, I'm getting about 11-12 hours out of a full tank of fuel. Tank holds 22 gallons. I kind of feel that is a lot of fuel for a short period of time. I'm I wrong to think this? I have a 1975 Ford 2000 diesel tractor that I can run hard all day for three days before needing to refuel.
Our super L eats fuel. It has a 33 gallon? tank and if it is working hard it will use a tank full in 10 hrs or so. A lot different than the old 580ck farm hoe that we filled up a couple of times a year weather it needed it or not!!
No comparison but think of it this way .I can drive my gm truck for 7 hrs on the highway and use about the same amount of fuel and I don't think it is working all that hard .
I don't know case or that one, but that seems pretty high to me. Does it seem to have normal power, and is anything hotter than it should be?
My 310sj a full tanks gets me roughly 16-22 hours of work and i think i burn about 35-38 gallons of fuel
Runs great. Just kind of shock that it is burning so much. Been digging up some big trees and have to run it hard. Here we go again. Snow and sleet again. Third time in less then three weeks. Not much this time, but what the hell is going on? We normally get snow once every 4-6 years here. Oh, blew another hose too this morning.
My hoe averages about 2gal/hr. If you are using the loader hard it will be more and if only digging with the stick it will be less. I consider this good as I have had some very thirsty machines.
OK, if there's nothing hot, does it have a thermostat? Running cold will kill the efficiency of an engine. Maybe not that much, but some.
Really don't know. The temp gauge is just making it into the green. Repaired the blown hose and got back to digging. Not two hours later, I blew another. This one is the one off the pump. That sucker dumped some oil and fast. Must of lost an easy 5 gallons before I was able to shut it down. When to the local place the makes up hoses, but they don't have the supplies to build this one. I will have to make a road trip tomorrow for a new one. I'm getting to think that I should of just hired someone to do the work that I'm doing, but at least I'm having fun.
Get a non contact thermometer and see what the temp of the thermostat housing, or outlet from the engine going to the radiator. It should be 180 or so after running, and shouldn't drop lower than that if you let it idle for a while.
Will check that with a gun. I did find that the radiator was on the cool side after I had shut down and pulled the front grill to get to the second busted hose of the day. Then again, it was only 36F at the time.
Two gallons an hour sounds about right for heavy digging. I have a Case 580L series 2 and that`s about what it does.
That is about what I am using. I'm just used to my old Ford tractor that doesn't burn much fuel all day. I can run it hard at 1800 rpm's all day clipping grass and only burn maybe 5 gallons of fuel.
I got the same machine (580C), I checked my fuel consumption last year and was averaging 1.5-2 G/hr
Thanks. Burnt a bunch of fuel yesterday, but slowly getting the job done. Weather is just nasty today to do anything.