Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many hours on a case 580SM is too many?

superm buyer ยท 2013-08-28 13:01

I'm looking to purchase a used 580SM with almost 9000hrs on it. When is it too many hours on a machine? When do the bushings need replacement? Engine rebuild? Overall performance reductions? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1monster762013-08-28 13:19

    Its hard to say. I've seen good working high hour machines and I have also seen low hour junk.

  2. #2superm buyer2013-08-28 13:27

    I'm just looking for a good machine for mostly personal use and I don't want to be repairing it steady. I just sold one of those old machines that every second time you went to use it. You had to fix it first.

  3. #3monster762013-08-28 13:31

    Me personally Its hard to say what I would do. what kind of budget are you working with? you might be able to afford a better machine than you think. Do you know any good heavy equipment techs that's check the machine out for you while your there

  4. #4Delmer2013-08-28 15:11

    I'd rather have a high hour relatively new machine, instead of a modest hour one that's much older. Do you know any more of the history of the machine? A unit that was run(ning) 40 hours a week year round was probably better taken care of than one that was a rental, and then sat in the plumber's lot for weeks at a time. In either case something newer will have more life left in the rubber, not tread on the tires, but more time till you have cracking tires, hoses, belts, seals, wipers. As far as performance reductions, you shouldn't notice a difference in power or cycle times until a component is on it's way out. The bushings are another story, the slop you're willing to deal with is the biggest factor in how long you hold on.

  5. #5superm buyer2013-08-28 15:34

    My budget is about 30k Machine has to have a 4in1 front or at least front auxiliary. 4x4 and extendahoe, ride control And the cabin enclosed with a heater

  6. #6monster762013-08-28 15:54

    try out the machine see how worn down it is i know down here in Miami Fl, good luck finding some one who takes care of there equipment when i was looking for a backhoe finding a good used machine was like playing the lotto all i can say is be patient and don't jump on the first hoe you see, try them check them out research them. alot of dealers would let you demo a used machine, nothing worse than a machine that spends more time getting fixed then moving material. 9k might be alot of hours but also to my 99 f350 has 350k 0 problem but i'm on top of my maintenance. look around be patient with that budget you should be able to find a decent backhoe regardless of hours

  7. #7mitch5042013-08-28 21:40

    If a superM had been well taken care of I wouldn't be scare of 9000 hrs, but I surely wouldn't pay 30k for it either. There are low hour Ms out there for that money.

  8. #8superm buyer2013-08-29 05:58

    most machines that I've seen that are 2005 to 2006 with from 6000hrs to 9000hrs they are asking from 35k to 40k. all that I've seen so far I wouldn't pay anymore than 28k. most have been painted at least once and if they were on snow removal some times twice. The undersides of the cab and around the doors is starting to really go. the privately owned machines seem to be better maintained and no tax either. but finding a good one is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Thanks

  9. #9FMD2013-08-29 11:30

    Have you ever bought a used car or truck? What do you do when you purchase a used car or truck? Do you have a mileage cut-off on used cars/trucks? The used equipment that I purchase, to include used cars/trucks, I pull a oil samples and road test the equipment. I look at the going asking price for the make/model, year model, hours/mileage and compare. I look at the body/frame condition. Usually after all that, you will have either a good feeling or bad feeling on the purchase price and haggle on the price from what you seen.

  10. #10Bill Smith2013-08-30 07:14

    In my opinion . What are you doing with the machine . Is it personal or for business .If you are new to the construction trade and want to be a company in the construction trade , then I would lease for the first time until you can see the future . I would say ownership is great when you start new but if you take a 9000 hr machine on a work site and it breaks down and its your only source of income mmmmmmm . 30gs is a lot of money for an old toy around the house .

  11. #11rickw2013-08-31 08:14

    We just bought a 2000 580 super l for less than about 30k w/ 2500 hrs on it. It was a fireman that bought it new and used it for septic systems basements drives ect on his days off. You may be able to find a better machine in the L series. Than a wore out M

  12. #12JS580SL2013-09-03 17:30

    Slop in pins isn't a huge deal. Make due with it. Inspect the machine carefully, for 30k you could find a 580 or 90 Super L with far less hours and better shape. I still think L's were the best built. I know of 2 guys in particular, one traded his SL in 17,000hrs all original components, the other is still working his 40 a week with 12,000hrs original.