Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many hours too many for 5 tonner??

Squiddog ยท 2011-07-13 05:04

gday boys- Looking at a Case CX50B, just been with a plumber all of its life, no hammer work. Pins, bushes very tidy, panels all neat with good original paint. its an 06 model. got 4500 hours on the clock. i had a bit of a play on it, starts very strong from dead cold, operates smoothly, still plenty of power. Do you think the hours is too many for this machine?? what else would influence your decision? Looking for some good advice from experienced operators. Cheers

Replies6
  1. #1Squiddog2011-07-14 18:30

    come on guys surely people are viewing this and have an opinion, let me know!

  2. #2hvy 1ton2011-07-14 21:28

    Plumber must not like shovels putting in 900 hours a year. If it's got good service records i would expect it to make it past 6000 hr before the first major failure. Get the service files and an oil sample from everything and decide whether your money ahead to pay more from a fresher one.

  3. #3Allgood2011-07-15 11:53

    Just my opinion, but it seems that is around the time that the smaller machines start getting you all the time with all sorts of things wearing out. When I say "smaller machines", I'm comparing it to ones I've operated for large companies, not ones that I've owned. That size is about what I have since it's small enough to tote around but big enough to do some work. Again, just my opinion, but that's about the hours where I've started having problems pop up and want to get rid of the machine. I got rid of my last machine right at 5k hours and the last 500 hours cost me darn near what the first 4500 hours cost me in repairs. I have 2200 hours on a 2007 Takeuchi now and I plan to keep it until about 4500 hours or so. The one that 'got' me on repairs was a different brand, and not the brand you're looking at either. Good luck.

  4. #4Haddy2011-07-15 15:54

    Depends on what you are going to use it for . If it has been looked after and you are going to do light work with it I would think you should be right up to 6000 hours . Normally from there on hoses etc will go . If you are going to use it a lot I would try and get something less than 2000 hours . Depends on brand too

  5. #5xcmark2011-07-15 20:38

    I was on a job this week where the dirt guys have a PC35 , it has 6629 hours on it. At this point it runs hot on days its above 75*f but it a worker. I would really think long and hard about getting a mini with that high or hours (6600+) at 3500 hours if it has had the fluids changed in the drives and hydrolic oil changed when it should or better then its got a lot of life left in it. The motor and the final drives are BIG money so make sure if possible to do a oil sample on all 3 before you lay your money on the table. Most owner and dealer will understand if you want a oil sample , private deal you may want to leave a deposit so the agreement is binding if the sample is clean.

  6. #6Squiddog2011-07-15 21:55

    thanks for the feedback guys the dealer is happy to give me a 6 month unlimited hour warranty on the entire machine, so this has put my mind at ease a little.