Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many hrs is too many

Jatreecompany ยท 2016-03-21 12:59

I'm looking at buying a Cat 325 excavator One I've looked at is a 2004 325 cal with hydraulic thumb it has 7200 hrs I can buy it for around 60k Is that too many hrs? I know it's all relative so to speak with the price. But, I've heard that around 9k hrs pumps start going bad and this, that. And around that point is where you must start replacing or repairing all major components. Again I know that would vary depending on how well machine was taken care of. Ok the other hand I've found a 2006 Cat 325dl It only has 5500 hrs but it cost around $100k Which would be better? Just hoping someone can elaborate a little from experience on hrs relating to repairs. Thanks in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1CDUB2016-03-21 22:48

    Well, all things being equal, you're looking at buying 2 years and 1700 hrs for $40,000. I suppose it depends on how much you are going to run it and how much $40,000 means to you. I wouldn't be too scared of a 7200 hr machine if it's been taken care of.

  2. #2John C.2016-03-22 19:24

    What I've heard from Cat people is the factory likes to consider rebuilds around the 12,000 hour mark if the machine was subjected to good maintenance. Generally, many if not most owners don't change hydraulic oil except when things break and most miss changing filters on time. Engine oils are usually done pretty regular. Final drive and swing machinery drive oils rarely get changed but they will last forever when done at the recommended intervals. Most don't change an air filter unless there is a power problem and lately there are always fuel filter problems that get them changed more often than the factory recommends. Does the 2006 machine have any warranty for that price?

  3. #3Jatreecompany2016-03-22 19:59

    No warranty on either machine